Why Knox? -Knox College and experiential learning-

shuto 4 / 7 2  
Please comment and/or correct errors.

-------------------------------
Why Knox? (100-300 words)

"Knox is where human beings gather and experience stuff," said Joshua Forchau, an international admission officer, at the Grew Bancroft symposium in Tokyo. Those simple words made me feel that Knox College was where I should spend my next four years.

I wish to continue and grow my educational experiences and I believe that Knox College is the right choice for me.
Being born and raised in Japan, I had lived in a homogeneous community. Almost all people are Japanese and speak only Japanese. My twelve years of education at Japanese public schools was mostly sitting is a classroom and listening to teachers. That was until I spend my Junior year of high school in Connecticut.

For the first time in my life, I experienced what it's like to be in a diverse environment. I love interacting with people from the other side of the planet. I learned so much more than I could ever obtain from any books by talking with people from different backgrounds. Yes, education is something you also go out and experience for yourself.

Now that I know how crucial it is to learn through experiences and real human interactions, I'm sure Knox College is the right choice for me. There are not many liberal arts colleges that promote experiential learning as much as Knox College.

-------------------------------

Thank you in advance!
Ssakshijain 28 / 146 87  
Hi Shuto

Here are my suggestions :

My twelve years of education at Japanese public schools was mostly sitting isin a classroom and listening to teachers.

Yes, education is something you also go out and experience for yourself.
Yes, education is about exploring and learning new experiences/ ...about going out and gathering your own experiences .
Shuto, keep the quote that you have at the start of your essay. It works very well with what I have in mind for your revision. At the moment, your essay delves too much on your experience with the Japanese educational system and how you were introduced to Knox College. Rather than doing that, I want you to concentrate on the idea of Liberal Arts education instead.

Why concentrate on the aspect of Liberal Arts education? You said so yourself, your Japanese education was quite constrictive in a sense and the Knox method of education is something that you feel will be an excellent learning experience for you. So concentrate on that.

In answer to the question "Why Knox?" Focus on the reasons why you feel that a Liberal Arts education is best suited for you. Just make mention of how the Japanese learning environment affected your love for education and how you feel the Knox experience can change that through its Liberal Arts classes and open learning environment. Keep the part where you talk about learning in a school in Connecticut, but mention the school name along with the experience. It is important to present verifiable information to the reviewer in order to ensure that they will take your application seriously. Yes, colleges and universities now have a tendency to double check the claims you make in your essays so always make sure to mention specifics in your application.
OP shuto 4 / 7 2  
I appreciate you guys for your help. I edited my essay based on your suggestions.

At the Grew Bancroft symposium in Tokyo, Joshua Forchau, a Director of International Student Services and Admission at Knox College, once said, "Knox is where human beings gather and experience stuff." These words, although plain and simple, developed the feeling that Knox College is where I should spend my next four years of my life.

My twelve years of education at public schools in Japan mostly consisted of sitting in dull, undiverse classrooms. Overall, my perspective on education at the time was very bland. However, this all changed when I was able to spend my Junior year of high school at CREC Metropolitan Learning Center in Bloomfield, CT.

For the first time in my life, I experienced what it is like to be in a diverse environment. Over time, I developed a passion for interacting with people from totally different backgrounds and learned so much more than I have ever learned through books. I transitioned into the mindset that education isn't just obtained by sitting in a classroom, but it is also obtained by going out and interacting with others.

What's best for me is obvious now because Knox College offers engaging learning experiences, great academics (many math and science Ph.D. candidates!), active clubs and organizations, delicious food, and a diverse community, where everyone is so inclusive that every member of its community can participate in every educational opportunity. These are what I was looking for.

I'm certain that Knox College is the right choice for me. There are not many liberal arts colleges that promote experiential learning as much as Knox College.

Home / Undergraduate / Why Knox? -Knox College and experiential learning-