"Korean tutoring" - PRINCETON summers essay

abc123luvu 1 / 1  
Please tell us how you have spent the last two summers (or vacations between school years), including any jobs you have held, if not already detailed on the Common Application.

Summer, for me, is a time when I can truly discover, embrace, and pursue my passions, and this is how I spent the last two summers. The summer before junior year, I tutored a boy named Minho who came from Korea to the United States for a month to learn English. When I first met him, he was very shy, hiding behind his mother's skirt when I introduced myself. After becoming accustomed to me, Minho was very outgoing and talkative. "You teach me English?" he asked, looking up at me with bright eyes. I smiled. That summer, I spent a considerable amount of time preparing lesson plans and materials for the daily two-hour tutoring sessions. He and I read Dr. Seuss books together out loud, wrote letters to each other, and played games. As Minho's English skills quickly expanded, he frequently asked challenging questions. "What does '_____' mean in Korean?" he would ask. His questions would catch me off guard, and I realized I did not know Korean as well as I thought I did. Wanting to be the best teacher I could be, I studied, researched, and prepared for his questions. When I wasn't tutoring Mindho, I would spend time reading and translating in English various Korean books that I had received as gifts from my parents but had abandoned because of a lack of interest. That summer, I felt like I was learning with Minho more so than teaching to him; I was the teacher and the student. I vastly expanded my own knowledge of the Korean and English language, and I realized my passion for bridging the languages together through Minho.

This past summer, I...

Not finished, don't know if I should continue with this theme of bridging languages and maybe do culture or cover a completely different event/happening from this past summer - like going to summer journalism camp.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!
hungergames123 - / 2  
I really liked the first one with Minsho. I reread it twice and I can't think of anything to change in it. So I think that you should definitely continue with this theme if you are able to! But if something amazing happened in your summer journalism camp you should talk about that too and then maybe add an extra paragraph talking about how both summers compared.

could you please review mine?
Yes, continue it. This is great stuff. You really have finesse in that intro, too... the way you breezily talk about summer as a time of discovery and passion and then zero in on a scene with some dialogue.. this has great potential.

But I advise you to end that paragraph sooner and give a thesis statement so that the reader knows what the main idea is going to be!

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "Korean tutoring" - PRINCETON summers essay