'krumkake, a traditional Norwegian cookie for Christmas' - Stanfort what matters

kryskripp 3 / 4  
What matters most to you and why?

I am still working to add a bit more to the end of the first paragraph so my thoughts just kind of stop at the end

No Christmas is complete without making krumkake, a traditional Norwegian cookie, with my dad and working at my grandpa's Christmas tree farm. No Easter feels whole without my family's merciless egg smashing contest. No Valentine's Day is right without a scavenger hunt through the house and Chinese food for dinner. And no New Year's Eve is final until we have attempted to finish a 500 piece puzzle before the ball drops. These traditions make the holidays complete. No matter how much life may change, traditions create a sense of dependability. While my sister travels to Costa Rica for a semester, and I embark on my own college experience next year, the traditions we hold on to will always keep our family close. Family traditions provide something for everyone to hold on to....

One of my favorite quotes is, "Life is not about the breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away." To me, a successful life is not measured by how much money one makes or how many promotions one receives. A successful life is one of happiness and love, and remembering the little moments that mean a lot; trying to stay warm while drinking hot cocoa in the little shack of the tree farm, having my pastel colored egg survive and win the competition, discovering the final scavenger hunt clue and cracking open the fortune cookie, and placing the final piece of the puzzle right as the ball begins to fall. Traditions provide opportunities to create these unique memories and hold on to special moments with family and friends.

suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
heydeanna 1 / 5  
I like the way you started it off but i think you should elaborate more on he second part: how close your family is and how they have shaped the ideas behind what you believe is a successful future
To me, a successful life is not measured by how much money one makes, or how many promotions one receives.

This hardly ever happens, but I couldn't find anything to edit! It's beautiful, heart-warming and very well written. My daughter's a student at UMass Amherst, leaving for Costa Rica in a few weeks. Might this be the trip your sister's going on?

Good luck with school and have fun. And you might want to consider submitting this essay to Readers Digest or Chicken Soup for the Soul!

:)
yuanyuan3045 6 / 23  
I really like your essay, and I agree it's hard to expand on because it feels complete. If it satisfies the word limit, I suggest leaving it as is. Less is more!

Good luck and thanks for reading my essay!
OP kryskripp 3 / 4  
thanks for the comments!

my sister will be will be going to Costa Rica next fall with a small group from her school, Linfield
chazzmil 5 / 9  
The way you started it off was really good but add some more about how your family is close and why they matter.(just elaborate some more on the family) I will be happily to check after it is rewritten.

Home / Undergraduate / 'krumkake, a traditional Norwegian cookie for Christmas' - Stanfort what matters