Lafayette College describe a creative or academic interest...

t1292 11 / 21  
I have 89 charecters left.
Is it neccessary I give the explanation for the nicknaes described in paragraph 2. For example he called Her Ham because she was over weight. How do I tie in Harper Lee's Novel with the rest of the essay?

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin I first decided that I wanted to be a writer after reading Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. I was amazed at how, through the eyes of a child she was able to illuminate social and moral corruptions that were just not discussed during her time. Since then I saw writing as a way to safely express myself.

I first adopted the habit of daily writing in 7th grade. When an abrupt move landed me in a new school. A school where I felt I was cursed to be the most hated student on campus. I was teased and bullied constantly. Reporting bullying to teachers did not help I was told I'm not in elementary school anymore I needed to find a way to deal with it on my own. But how? On one particular morning a student referred to me as green eggs and my friend as ham. What was there we could do? How were we expected to deal with students taunting us? And then she said it. "Burnt toast". Her insult just egged him on they went at it for a while until he punched her in the face. She punched back and the two were dragged out of the class. They were both suspended. Virtually nothing to the boy already suspended 3 times that year but dreadfully damaging to my straight-A friends future ambitions.

The next two days I was left to face students alone. 'Green eggs where's Ham?' they asked. But I had to do something because its as if I could feel the frustration in my teeth, stomach and head. So one day I just took out a piece of paper and wrote. Wrote how I felt, wrote what I wanted to say and just wrote what I wish school were like. Mostly however, I wrote to distract myself from the problems of the real world. I have since become more of a broad writer writing figurative poems in place of direct insults.

Someday I dream of being a novelist but for now writing is just a way to keep from losing it.
Significa 5 / 14  
Hmm, I believe there is a lot of background information but not enough information actually describing your interest.
Also, you might want to move away from the negatives, some admissions officers may look of it as a sort of a rant. Writing more about the actual interest should move your point more away from the negative though.

Lastly - the entire prompt isn't here so I'm not sure, is it asking for you for your background information? The short prompt line seems like it wants to know how you engage in your interests rather than the history of the interest.
Someday I dream of being a novelist, but for now writing is just a way to keep from losing it.
Great sentence!!! Ha ha, that was the best part of the essay. I'm glad you are going to take writing as your art. Please consider using tis powerful sentence as the first sentence of the essay.

Also, google this: proprioceptive writing
That is something I use now, after reading about it, but you figured it out intuitively!

I think you should let the reader know the significance of Ham, but... concentrate on the main point of the essay. Do not go too much into the story. Write about how you dove into prose as your brand of escapism and therapy.
nc08dkia 4 / 23  
Although I understand why you want to write, and in the future be a novelist, but still i dont think u mention the real reason that u want to be a novelist. u like writing because it helps you escape reality and have time to explore everything alone, maybe you should emphasize on this a bit. as daniel said theres alot of back ground information, and it sounds a bit negative as well. you sound like a person with no confidence. you should focus on why you like writing ... it would be good as well if you could jsut come up with another example than the bullying, since you dont mention that you fought back yourself.

Good luck!
would you mind taking a look at my essay?

Home / Undergraduate / Lafayette College describe a creative or academic interest...