Why Lafayette? - "diversity and academics at lafayette"

aikd80cn 4 / 18  
this is jsut about the size it should be. any comments are welcome ;)
it asks why i chose lafayette

The academic curriculum is perfect for me; a wide range of courses, a student to faculty ratio of 10:1. Lafayette's strong reputation for engineering stands honest; the highly competent faculty and superb facilities open new doors to undergraduate research. Work experience at Lafayette strengthens its tradition for post-graduate employment. I have always longed to do research and design projects, although I haven't been granted the opportunity, Lafayette opens doors to my intellectual maturity.
linhexi 9 / 28  
I think you'd better talk more about yourself..not emphasize on school's faculty ratio, courses, facilities... the college knows itself better than you do, so why not depicting your own experience and tell the college that you match it!
TimMill 9 / 63  
I've got a cute friend at Lafayette, you could talk about her ;) They also serve a mean pancake breakfast, have a badminton team, and are quite picturesque.

Linhexi is right, though; your first line is basically right out of the admissions pamphlet. They already know that! It's only useful in your essay if you connect it to yourself. Make it personal!
The academic curriculum is perfect for me; a wide range of courses, a student to faculty ratio of 10:1. ----> don't tell them about the ratio; this is not a contest to see who visited the website... I think it must be annoying when hundreds of essays cite the ratio and make general statements about the strong reputation for XXXXXX, and [. . .] highly competent faculty ...

No, you need to tell them something they don't know, some thing interesting. "I want to attend Lafayette, because it will enable me to learn from professor XXXX XXXXXX, whose recent article about (some engineering thing) changed my perspective on Engineering."

From among the many available schools with excellent Engineering programs, I choose Lafayette for its _________ program and its _____________ club. My intuition tells me that these two experiences represent....

Home / Undergraduate / Why Lafayette? - "diversity and academics at lafayette"