Language has always intrigued me; UCF Why UCF? and Unique characteristics

collegen00b 1 / 1  
3. Why did you choose to apply to UCF?

A very wise man once said "Language has three important uses--it expresses thought, conceals thought, and takes the place of thought." Language has always intrigued me. I am extremely interested in pursuing speech pathology at the University of Central Florida. Your speech pathology program is extremely well known throughout the state of Florida and I would love the chance to be a part of it. My cousin has attended the Speech program at the University and benefited from the experience. I did attend one of my cousin's speech sessions and found it to be fascinating. What truly matters is giving back to children because they hold the key to the future. With the increase of children with learning disabilities and speech issues, I want to be a part of helping them overcome their obstacles. I would like to influence the children of tomorrow.

I honestly don't know what else to write. Please help!

4. What qualities or unique characteristics do you possess that would allow you to contribute to the UCF community?

Three unique qualities that I possess are: I exhibit quiet strength and determination, my love of writing, and my desire to help others.
One of my qualities is my exhibition of quiet strength and determination, as shown by some of my accomplishments below. I lettered in swim team after swimming after one year. I had not competitively swum since I was nine. I swam every morning from 6:15 a.m. to 8:15 a.m. before school and had "dry land practices" every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. In the dry land practices I ran at least a mile and did a plethora of vigorous work outs. I also received the award for most improved in choir after only singing in it for 2 years. I had never sung prior to high school. I joined intending to improve my singing for drama, but became truly only interested in singing. I always put my best foot forward with a smile on my face in new situations. I stay patient in challenging situations. These include situations such as helping administration with scheduling.

One of my passions is writing. I have found it to be a skill of mine. It has helped me through difficult situations. Writing is my way of showing how I think, without speaking it aloud. I really enjoyed writing my essay for National Honors Society and feel it is one of my better pieces of work. I believe my essay helped me get inducted into National Honors Society in my junior year. Writing poetry is especially resonating to me. It relaxes me and keeps me calm when things get hard.

Another unique characteristic is my desire to help others. I have done many volunteer activities through my youth group. I have volunteered in many different situations throughout my community. These include Vacation Bible School for multiple years, backpack distribution, assisting with Sunday school, charity modeling, assisting with library organization, and assisting administration in handing out schedules at the school. I am truly kind to those that need help.

Thanks to anyone who helps!
A very wise man once said "Language has three important uses--it expresses thought, conceals thought, and takes the place of thought."

That is very interesting, but what does it have to do with your essay or with why you want to attend UCF?

My cousin has attended the Speech program at the University and benefited from the experience.

How? In what ways? Elaborate on this.

I did attend one of my cousin's speech sessions and found it to be fascinating.

Why? What was fascinating about it? Elaborate on this too.

What truly matters is giving back to children because they hold the key to the future.

Ow. I stubbed my brain on that cliche you left lying about. Put it away, would you.

Revise for parallel structure.

Hmmm . . . the rest of this essay list your interests, rather than your qualities, until you get to this part:

Another unique characteristic is my desire to help others.

Unfortunately, this is not unique at all. Every single person who is applying either has the same desire or knows enough to say s/he does. Try to think of something a bit more original. I wish I could give more specific advice, or suggest something you could try, but having never met you, I haven't the slightest idea what qualities, unique or otherwise, you possess, so you will have to come up with the base ideas on your own.

Home / Undergraduate / Language has always intrigued me; UCF Why UCF? and Unique characteristics