Large household and homeschooling - Who and what was Infulential?

hannahsarch 2 / 17  
I am applying to Antioch college, a very very small private liberal college located in Ohio. It's beginning again after closing down in 2008 and they're looking for students to help re-create Antioch college. I'm hoping to get across that Antioch's size and mission coincide with my own.

This is a short answer question about why I chose to apply to Antioch.

I come from a large household where everyone contributes and at Antioch I feel like I can create a similar community. In addition, I went from being homeschooled to a highschool of 4000 and felt lost. After slowly discovering my eclectic group of friends, there is an overwhelming sense of acceptance, despite the inevitable strife, due to so many distinctive personalities. It is their acceptance, support - and competition - pushing me towards progress that influenced me to apply. I had been looking at big ten schools but their large populations were not the environment I was looking for. It was not until learning about Antioch that I felt excitement about attending a school. it will be my school to help form and I can be more than just one out of 20,000 students.

H.S
mayfl0wer 6 / 48  
Don't talk about other schools.
OP hannahsarch 2 / 17  
It is their acceptance, support, and competition, pushing me towards progress that influenced me to apply. Instead of being overwhelmed by oceans of students I want to experience the community feeling Antioch has to offer. It was not until learning about Antioch that I felt excitement about attending a school. it will be my school to help form and I can be more than just one out of 20,000 students.

yea?
OP hannahsarch 2 / 17  
SOCIAL NERD-Homeschooling, Experience and Effects; Antioch College

I must apply before the week is over, and then I have the essays to deal with.

Antioch is a very very small private liberal arts college. They are looking for students to become the beating heart of the college, and for clubs and events to be decided by them.

As a short answer question in the application Antioch asks for additional information explaining any circumstances and qualifications not in the application or my essay(s).

So in this short answer i wish to address
*****Homeschooled from 1st grade to freshman year of high school
*****Family of 5 but then my cousins and aunt moved in, increasing my household to 10.
*****Skipped 7th grade in order to attend high school earlier.
*****I had to be very self motivated in order to learn anything while being homeschooled

---->Five people, or ten people, my home's varied with its occupants since my cousin and aunt have moved in and out depending on their financial opportunistic. My home was a resting place, one without rent, and utilities, a home meant for generosity. I am grateful for their involvement, without them, years of home schooling would have passed by much slower. Our grade schools in the area did not provide an experience free from drugs, alcohol, and the resulting disruptions. The best choice then was to homeschool, an opportunistic I reflect as giving me motivation when teachers have none, and a foundation for generosity and community.

I'm not sure how long this can be, on the paper application they only give 3 lines but the online one offers to have it emailed so space wouldn't be a problem.

How much of an essay should this be? I'm guessing 250 words is appropriate since the personal essay is 500 (and the scholarship essay is at least 500. )

Should i try incorporating my shyness to explain my lack of extracurriculars? They were never big in my family so i never joined any... Thinking back i should have but freshman year, thrown into a school of 4000 when i came from homeschooling had me concerned with short term goals, like deadlines and navigating the social world of highschool that i was poorly prepared for. I survived tho!

My personal essay will be about an ethical dilemma concerning a friends self harm and the ensuing mental gladiator battle about who to tell, what to do, and the consequences from acting or sitting by.

I dont want to repeat anything.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
Hi I can give some suggestions for your paper.
I think if you can use more space for this- go for it. I think the college would be interested to hear about your unique situation.

I think you should work on your grammar and wording in this essay here. The first sentence is a little disjointed. Be sure to mention that the varied occupants were family members. Homeschooling should be more emphasized than criticizing the school system- emphasize the family-oriented environment, and your ability to perform independent learning. You can mention that you were so focused in getting the best grades, so you would not do clubs because you needed to study more. keep it positive, you don't need to all yourself shy. Instead, explain that you have been involved in your studies.

Home / Undergraduate / Large household and homeschooling - Who and what was Infulential?