How Latin American Studies helped me savor the history of my own roots_ UC prompt 1_

poetisa 1 / 1  
Transfer applicant prompt

What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

As a first generation student in the USA, staying afloat between two vastly different cultures wasn't easy. Before choosing my major I wanted a higher education but didn't know what to pursue. Nothing seemed to click for me. I went from wanting to become a professional dancer to an environmental scientist. The classes I took in Spanish Literature and Latin American history have grown my enthusiasm giving me back the pieces I left back in Guatemala. This motivated me to learn how works of Spanish Literature reflect the current socio-economic views and emotions of a writer whereas studying Latin America connected me to savor the history of my own roots.

The last year of college I became engaged in college activities. Wanting to gain a lot from college as an individual, I learnt more about Latin America in the area of politics and current events. My interest grew as I explored how the Americas evolved from pre-classic civilizations and their different political ideologies to contemporary Latin America with the rise of Left-wing nationalism. Becoming the vice-president of "The Social Awareness Club" expanded my horizons while raising awareness among students on current socio-economic issues through panel discussions and debates with the help of professors. The responsibility as vice-president taught me to take an active role and to practice what I had learnt studying Latin American politics.

Having the role of responsible leader persuaded me to be involved in other school organizations, to leave a mark and set the path for other peers. I joined the Latin American Culture and Literature Club (LACL club), at first, I felt close to home as we shared the common culture and language. This commonality brought us together to create a well-built group working as one to accomplish our goals through team strength. Through this club, I helped translate The Bull magazine from campus. Translating an important publication from English to Spanish put my language proficiency to test. I'm an editor of our first bilingual literary magazine of Pierce College and as such, I reviewed poems and prose submissions from students. Putting endless hours of work into these we set path for another eager generation of writers and artists. All this work made me certain that I have made the right choice of major because my skills were put to practice in terms of the Spanish classes I took.

Transferring from a community college to a university will help me explore in depth politics and history of Latin America. It is an open door to academic success and will ultimately guide me to ample aspects of my own culture and history. This will help me stay afloat as I succeed in the land of the free.
This motivated me to learn how works of Spanish Literature reflect the current socio-economic views and emotions of a writer ( I don't think you are actually interested in socioeconomic views of writers... try to revise this sentence so that it says what you really get from the literature... developing your own views, maybe, but learning the 'view of the writer' is not the most important goal).... whereas (use "and" instead, because whereas makes it confusing and unclear) studying Latin America connected me to savor the history of my own roots. (I think you should add a sentence to specify whether this is your major.. and then end the paragraph)

During the last year of college I became engaged in college activities ??? what do you mean? Name the activities in this PARAGRAPH TOPIC SENTENCE.

Use a hyphen: in-depth
:-)

Home / Undergraduate / How Latin American Studies helped me savor the history of my own roots_ UC prompt 1_