Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" - Florida State University

mnowak17 1 / -  
Please review my essay for both content and technical errors. Thanks so much for your help!

Essay Prompt:
For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

My Essay:
Values are more than a notion or theory in life. They are a reflection of each and every person, signifying the character inside of them. My life is guided by many different values; they are reflected in my every day demeanor. "Vires" and "Mores" are two Latin concepts that closely denote my values.

Vires refers to the diversity of strengths one may consider a value; moral, physical and intellectual strengths among them. Moral strength tells a lot about a person. I have faith in my own moral beliefs; I would like to think nothing could cause me to waver from them. Physical strength is another important aspect of my life. Keeping my body healthy helps me maintain a better lifestyle both physically and mentally. As a competitive swimmer being physically competent is a great advantage. What I value most, however, is being strong intellectually. Intellectual strength helps me negotiate through each day whether I am at school, work, or at home reading a book. You must acquire strength intellectually through both education and life lessons.

Mores; although this word has several different meanings, the concept of 'character' stands apart from the rest. As I walk through life I never try to step into anyone else's footsteps. I value being an individual, different from every single person on this earth; watching those around me trying to fit in by reflecting the personalities around them seems ridiculous. Obtaining and maintaining my own character and personality is a gift, and each place I go, I hope stand out from the people I meet.

Without personal values, life would seem pointless. There would be little to aspire to. Although people's conceptual idea of values may differ, most can appreciate the definition of values embodied in the FSU guiding philosophy "Vires, Artes, Mores."

Home / Undergraduate / the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" - Florida State University