St Lawrence University Supp - how you spent your vacations/holidays?

hbrad8002 9 / 20  
this is the prompt: Describe how you have spent summer (or long school) vacations in the past 2 years.

Unlike most other countries whose education calendar systems usually accommodate the summer holidays, Singapore gives its students the year-end holidays instead. Every year, I went back to Vietnam for my vacation during November and December. Yet that was the period of time that I used to hate the most.

Year-end, to my parents, is always the toughest time of the year when they have to prepare for extra lessons and examinations. This also means my Vietnamese friends are occupied by piles of notes and assignments rather than cinema shows or latest fashions. As a result, I stayed home alone and befriended with the TV - things I called 'complete boredom'.

Fortunately, that only lasted for the first two years. The past two years, as I realized that I had been wasting so much time, I decided to design some plans to make good use of my long holidays.

I remember the first thing I asked my father when I arrived at my hometown two years ago was 'Dad, could you buy me a motorbike? I want to go around; I don't want to stay at home.' I strongly believe that staying at home makes me become stagnant, both physically and intellectually. I must go out to get some 'street experiences'.

In fact, the motorbike was much helpful than I had ever expected. With this mobility, I was able to take over my parents in some household jobs. Every afternoon I took a ride to the supermarket to help my mum get the food for dinner. Sometimes, I replaced my dad to go to look for water pipe and some light bulbs. Yet, the hidden treasure that I was searching for was the society - exposure. As I crashed into other people while driving and got into quarrel, I enhanced my communication and problem - handling skills. As I shopped and bargained, I improved my choosing and negotiation abilities. Throughout the two months, I spent almost every afternoon on the streets. They helped me grow.

Sometimes, I rode to the Hanoi Stock Exchange. I liked to stand outside the trading hall, stared at the electronic boards inside showing red and green numbers. I understood those figures and found my interest in them. That was thanks to the mornings I spent on books and articles about the stock exchange system and its rules and regulations. As I realized that I should start planning my career right then, I decided that stock and securities should be a new area to learn. I read books to gain the theories while I played virtual games on the internet to have the practices. Every morning, the first thing I did was to turn on the computer to check the price of my stocks and make trades. I thought it was more productive than turning on the TV!

On the other hand, I grew up in Vietnam where children are usually only encouraged to excel academically. In Singapore, I was amazed by my friends who got grade 8 for piano or who could play wonderfully both violin and guitar. This urged me to learn something new to make up for my lack of artistic ability and guitar was what I spent my nights on. Guitar required concentration like a form of learning, yet it also gave joy as a type of hobby. Each plucking sound brought me a moment of relaxation and refreshment. Gradually, guitar became part of my daily life: its sounds ended my fruitful day.

I must admit that I am the realistic type of person. Many people consider holidays the time purely for rest or even 'slackness', yet I see them as such a great waste of time.' I believe my free time should incorporate both hibernation and absorption. I regret that I had thrown so much time out of the window in previous years. 'Making good use of time' is now my core principle of life and I commit to that lifestyle in order to live a rich and rewarding life in future.

Thanks a lot
Tong - / 3  
Wow, it seems a long and interesting story of what you did in your last two years vacation. i can conclude, through reading, that you were very fond of motorbike, housework, stock market, musical instruments playing, etc... but can not see any points from such things in answer to the topic. So, it may be said that your story did leave far away behind the topic...

Regarding to your details, it's better to consolidate them into groups to answer how you spent the vacation: for entertainment? for earning? for giving hands to housework? or for studying? that is what the topic really wants to know. Err, this means the story should be re-organized structurally in accordance with essay purpose.

Well, it's hardly to say mine is good but it is what an audience like me feels through reading yours.
rablinh 2 / 6  
Hi hbrad8002,

I know you do a lot of inspiring activities and you want to show them all on your paper. But you should choose one specific experience and elaborate it so it can be deep rather than wide.

Hope it can help.

Good luck to you ;)

Home / Undergraduate / St Lawrence University Supp - how you spent your vacations/holidays?