"A leader should guide himself" - my commonapp supplement

Mohamed123 2 / 3  
describe three things that our staff should know about you? this is just one

During my freshman year of high school, my bag was cluttered! I spent valuable class time searching for homework assignments that were often torn and crumpled when I found them. After numerous missing assignments and the excessive amount of paper in my bag, I realized that I was disorganized and I needed improvement. I purchased dividers, folders and notebooks to sort out my assignments and I even organized my locker. After receiving my next report card, I noticed that my organization boosted my grades. This anecdote portrays my self leadership skill. I believe that one of the most important traits that a leader must possess is to be able to identify his flaws and make an improvement on. A leader should guide himself before he guides others. My English teacher once told me "The safest principle through life, instead of reforming others, is to set about perfecting yourself", this quote is true in every aspect. Without my self leadership, I would never realize the obstacles that are hindering me from being the best I can be.
longhorn2011 2 / 6  
What you said is true (:

I like how you presented an anecdote first before telling them what your characteristic is.

organization boosted my grades.*** This anecdote portrays my self leadership skill
*** Maybe you can put another sentence in between those two to connect the previous sentence to the next.

Overall, this is excellent!
OP Mohamed123 2 / 3  
thanks i will be submiting this one then
This anecdote portrays my self leadership skill.

When I get to this sentence, it makes me confused... It shows organizational skill, not leadership skill.
Oh... but as I continue reading, I see what you mean by self leadership. I suggest this:

This anecdote portrays an important self-leadership skill: the ability to identify and correct my errors.

Use a hyphen: self-leadership

Punctuation...
"The safest principle through life, instead of reforming others, is to set about perfecting yourself." T his quote is ...

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / "A leader should guide himself" - my commonapp supplement