Leadership is essential for all aspects and situations in life; FSU - LEADERSHIP

ashfsu 1 / -  
Prompt: Florida State University is more than just a world-class academic institution preparing you for a future career. We are a caring community of well-rounded individuals who embrace leadership, learning, service, and global awareness. With this in mind, which of these characteristics appeals most to you, and why? 500 words maximum.

While I find all of those characteristics appealing, I find leadership to be the most important. Leadership doesn't always mean being innovative or starting something new, but also means one who acquires great determination, integrity and responsibility in themselves to influence others to do the same. As a child at the age of 10, I can vividly recall times where I had assisted close friends of mine to overcome emotionally difficult hardships. I can remember the great feeling of achievement in myself knowing I was able to genuinely help someone with a situation that was so vital and meaningful to them. I truly believe showing leadership is an invaluable quality to possess for countless reasons.

When the characteristic of leadership comes to mind, one of my first thoughts is that of being an older sister to two brothers. Being the oldest child has naturally made it my role to help my younger brothers with anything whenever they need it. One circumstance in particular occurred in Fall of 2012, just a few weeks into the new school year. At the time I was about 16 years old and one of my younger brother was 11. For him, this school year suddenly became substantially more difficult compared to previous school years. With all of the chaos of new teachers, new classes, and new routines of being enrolled in the Honor's Academy for his first year of middle-school, my brother found the school work to be more distressing than he had anticipated. The last thing I wanted was to see my younger brother becoming stressed with the workload, so we decided to set in motion a schedule to help guide him to where we knew he would find success. During the evening on most nights we would sit together on our living room rug and spread out all of the concepts he was having difficulty with in his classes. Whatever class it may be he needed assistance in, I had the previous knowledge and skill to be able to successfully help him. The feeling of accomplishment that radiated from my brother when he looked down at his report card at the end of the semester and all there were, were bright A's and B's was an invaluable reward in itself. Still to this day my brother knows he can undoubtedly come to me with any dilemma he has, whether it be academic or personal.

Whether it be to help lead others or begin something new, leadership essential for all aspects and situations in life. From assisting friends to helping my younger brothers, life experiences of mine have served as a reminder to myself to continue to show nothing but determination, integrity and responsibility and to influence others to do the same.
Chantal 2 / 8  
maybe give a specific xample on the helping friends part?? Otherwise it's good
Leadership doesn't always mean being innovative or starting something new, but also means one who acquires great determination, integrity and responsibility in themselves to influence others to do the same.

.... this sounds as if this is a complete definition of leadership. However, in my view, it is much more broader concept than what is here.... So, I like if you rephrased this line to give a more balanced view to the reader.

Also, at the end you sum up some leadership qualities that you have brought up in this essay. For example, you've displayed good leadership qualities like responsible, caring, coaching etc.

Home / Undergraduate / Leadership is essential for all aspects and situations in life; FSU - LEADERSHIP