"Lean on Me" - Stanford: letter to future roommate

jstorm 4 / 8  
Dear Future Roommate,

I should forewarn you that I have a lot of energy. Luckily, I've found a place to channel it all: running. My approach to running is much like my approach to life; one needs to have flexibility, good nutrition, and support.

On any run, I usually find myself weaving from the back to the front. I'm never engrained in one spot, but prefer to roam the pack and gather information about everyone's day. I'm drawn to the energy of large crowds; meeting new people and trying new things has become a near addiction. Just as the winter off season led me to discover a passion for swing dancing and yoga, I know our experiences together will lead to new experiences and new areas of interest. I can't wait to find out what you're interested in.

I do my best thinking while running at night, so don't be alarmed if I awake with a sudden urge to venture onto the quad. With running comes a need for good food so I hope you'll join me in eating hearty pasta dishes, swap theories of existence over late night cups of mate, and put up with my Scandinavian need to fill our room with stacks of homemade lefse during the holiday season.

The morning before my first cross country practice, I loaded up on a bowl of cereal, a peanut butter bagel, a large bowl of eggs, some oatmeal, and a yogurt for good measure. While the desire to feel prepared certainly did not lead into a very good run, I assure you that desire will serve as an asset to our room. I'll be ready to help you prepare for any test, edit any paper, and lend any piece of clothing you might like. While I don't listen to music while running, I've been known to blast the chorus of "Lean on Me" during long, hard miles. You can lean on me, roomie!

Jen Storm
ziranshng 5 / 17  
Haha I wrote my roomie essay on running too! And pretty much the same format as yours...So I think you did a pretty good job, obviously I'm a little biased but it flows well and you show your passion for running and how it affects your life with a roommate which is what the prompt wants.

Home / Undergraduate / "Lean on Me" - Stanford: letter to future roommate