"Learn as if you were to live forever" - SOP for Chemical Engineering

awadbigmo 1 / -  
Hello,
I am trying to finish up a statement of purpose for undergrad admission. Please offer suggestions based on what i have thus far. Thanks.

Statement of Purpose
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."
-Mahatma Gandhi

For as long as I can remember I have always loved to learn and had an insatiable appetite for knowledge. Throughout my life I was always curios and asked endless questions about everything. This annoyed many of those around me because they often replied, "I don't know". This discontent shaped me to be the person I am. I realized that to find answers, I had to investigate and explore things for myself. It is this process that is important in a scientific discipline, answers don't come easy, but with tenacity, I can satisfy my curiosity. This is why I chose Chemical Engineering. I realize that it is not an easy major, but a challenging one. With Chemistry being a relatively young discipline the opportunities are virtually endless. When I look around I see chemistry in literally in every aspect of the world. Even so much so that is a fundamental basis for understanding other disciplines, such a biology and physics.

When I looked deeper into Chemical Engineering I must admit that I held a since of intense interest, I want to learn every branch there is! Pharmaceuticals are important to health, green energy is important to the current energy crisis and economy, computer microchips are important in technological applications, and the list goes on. All of these conducted by this field of study and which is why I would like to be a part of.

I chose University of Texas at Austin for many reasons. Having visited several universities, no compared to UT Austin. I approached many students, some graduate and many other undergraduates. They offered me much insight and info about the field. This University is the one I would love to become apart of because I feel it fits who I am and will further shape and help me become the person I want to be.

After I graduate I plan on continuing my education, hopefully with a long-term objective of getting the opportunity to do research. This is where the full potential lies for discovery and contribution to the betterment of society.

It is amazing that this is the path my aspirations have led me too. Although I see my self as tenacious, a few years ago I would have thought of my self as a businessman. I grew up in the U.S., but I also spent a couple of years abroad in the Middle East, and another 3 years in South America. This caused me to be a very diverse individual, I love to meet and socialize with all sorts of people.
ndgranberry 1 / 2  
Having visited several universities, none compared to UT Austin.

This University is one I would love to become a part of because I feel it fits who I am and will further shape and help me become the person I want to be.
ghafarimahsa 15 / 41  
Mohammad,
Your essay is great, but I feel you translated some of your sentences from your mother tongue to english. It's a common problem that I have too. Try to think in English

my life I was always curious and asked

Even so much so that is a fundamental basis for understanding other disciplines, such as a biology and physics ??????

for the betterment of society.

Goooooooooooood luck

Home / Undergraduate / "Learn as if you were to live forever" - SOP for Chemical Engineering