"I learnt to be positive" - UC prompt

Akvsp 5 / 2  
Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud, and how does it relate to the person you are?

On the 26th of July 2005, my mother woke me up early for school. I did so very hesitatingly and went to school. The day went off with the daily routine and soon it was time for us to go home.

Unfortunately I had forgotten my raincoat. It was raining very heavily and the roads were waterlogged. Being used to heavy downfalls in Mumbai, I did not worry. Suddenly a turn of events took place and my not-so-interesting day became one of the most eventful days of my life.

On our way back, it started raining cats and dogs. The bus had barely moved a mile when the bus conductor told us that the bus got spoiled because of excessive water logging. Some of the small kids in the bus started crying, as they were hungry and wanted to go back home. We were helpless as the bus was stuck in the middle of nowhere. One of my friends thought that it would be better to walk home than spend the night in the bus without food and water. Being the senior students we had the responsibility of the younger students. We did not know what to do with the kids as they were very small and would not be able to walk it home. I then remembered that there was a school nearby and I was sure that they would allow at least the kids to spend the night there. We decided to take the main road there as we were sure that the by lanes would be flooded. We formed a human chain and held on to each other tightly. The kids were surprising pretty supportive and understood the gravity of the situation without making a fuss.

On my way there, I experienced another side of my city. In a city where some people do not even know their neighbours, people in the buildings nearby were offering a lot of help. They were giving water, biscuits, tea and other things to the various people walking to their home. Some people also offered shelter. It was a very scary experience and the rain was so heavy that it would even hurt the body. Some people warned us about the open manhole in the road. Soon we reached the school and since there was not much place, we decided to drop the younger kids there and walk it back home.

The 8 miles back home was very difficult and took us a lot of time. The water I some places was about four to five feet deep and the sight was very disturbing. We could see many floating bodies of not only street animals but also of some humans, mostly kids. It was mentally upsetting and traumatising for weeks after the incident. Many people lost their lives and families were broken.

This incident has shaped me as a person. Luckily, my family was home as they had heard about the catastrophe in the news and headed home immediately. I have become a stronger individual. I can face situations without panicking. I used to always be a negative person and always thought pessimistically. But that day I learnt to be positive and see the glass half full and not half empty.

Besides your views on this, can you please tell me if it is relevant to the topic and if its good enough ?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good evening :)

I think this is a great topic and answers the prompt very well. You describe the situation, your life before, and the person you are as a result of it. I think this is a great piece. Nice work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / "I learnt to be positive" - UC prompt