'leaving my country, family, friends' + 'Thai medications' Gonzaga U and MCPHS

vanamrungisara 1 / 2  
Gonzaga
Please read the following quotations and respond to ONE of the following short answer questions in 3 to 5 sentences.
"Life's challenges are not supposed to paralyze you; they're supposed to help you discover who you are."
- Bernice Johnson Reagon, Ph.D., civil rights activist, historian, and musician
What has been one of your significant challenges, and what did you learn from the experience?

At the age of thirteen, I decided to leave my country, family, friends and everything I had to the United States in order to seek for a better education. My decision had conveyed me a great challenge. It was very hard for me, as a child to adjust myself to a new culture, a new language and people I was not familiar with. I tried my best in order to survive in this foreign country. The biggest challenge for me was school and classes. I had to be discipline with myself, remind myself of the goal of being here and focus on my life. As a result, I could overcome all the hardships. From this challenge I have been facing, I learned that the key to the successes for me is not only being smart but being diligent, responsible, discipline and tolerant to learn new things. In addition, I learned to be generous to a new culture that has taught me to be a new person who looks at things differently and understand my own life better than knowing only one language and one culture.

MASS. COLLEGE OF PHARMACY AND HEALTH SCIENCES
A BRIEF 250-WORD DISCUSSING YOUR REASONS FOR CHOOSING THE SPECIFIC HEALTH CARE CAREER YOU WISH TO PERSUE AND WHY YOU ARE APPLYING TO MCPHS.

First Choice Major: Pharmacology and Toxicology
Second Choice Major: Doctor of Pharmacy
When I was in Thailand and I got sick, my parents would hand me Thai medications that are made of different kinds of herbs. After taking those medicines, I almost never had to go to the hospital. From this experience I always wonder how those basic herbs cure my illness. There are also various Thai wisdoms that are used to cure different kinds of illness such as putting shallots near your pillow when having running nose and eating raw bananas to relieve stomach flu. I am really interested in how people in the old days discovered these tips to get the sicknesses better without knowing the sciences behind it. I believe that pharmacology will help me understand the facts behind those wisdoms. It will be a great opportunity for me to combine the basic and traditional knowledge from my country to the facts of sciences. I will be able to apply the wisdom and the modern sciences together in order to improve the medications in the present days. Since MCPHS mainly focuses on health care field, I hope that I will obtain the best health care education during my years in MCPHS. I also believe that MCPHS will provide me a lot of experiences both in classrooms and the reality that will guide me to my desire profession and the goal I have set for my life.

These are my rough drafts.
I might have A LOT of grammar errors!
Please help me!
Thank you very much! :-)
OP vanamrungisara 1 / 2  
I just realized some errors and made some changes for the short answer, Gonzaga U.
Here it is,

At the age of thirteen, I decided to leave my country, family, friends and everything I had to the United States in order to seek for a better education. My decision had conveyed me a great challenge. It was very hard for me, as a child to adjust myself to a new culture, a new language and people I was not familiar with. I tried my best in order to survive in this foreign country. The biggest challenges for were school and classes. I had to be discipline to myself, remind myself the goal of being in this country and highly focus on how to worthy live my life in a foreign country. As a result, I could overcome all the hardships I had. From this challenge, I have been facing, I learned that the key to the successes for me is not only being smart but being diligent, responsible, discipline and tolerant to learn new things. In addition, I learned to be generous to a new culture that has taught me to be a new person who looks at things differently and understand my own life better than knowing only one language and one culture.

THANK YOU! :-)
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
I can help you make a few corrections in your second essay:

When I was in Thailand, every time I got sick, my parents would give me Thai medications. These remedies are made of different kinds of herbs. After taking herbal medicine , I almost never had to go to the hospital. These experiences made meI always wonder how those basic herbs cured my illness. There are also various Thai wisdomthat areis used to cure different kinds of illness, such as putting shallots near your pillow when you havea runny nose, and eating raw bananas to relieve stomach flu. I am really interested in how people in the old daysmy ancestors discovered these methods to get the sicknesses betterheal without knowing the science behind it. I believe that pharmacology will help me understand the facts behind this wisdom . It would be a great opportunity for me to combine the basic and traditional knowledge from my country withthe facts ofmodern science . I will be able to apply the wisdom and the modern sciences together in order to improve new medications in the present. Since MCPHS mainly focuses on the health care field, I hope that I will obtain the best health care education during my years in MCPHS. I also believe that MCPHS will provide me with many a lot of experiences both in classrooms and the reality that will guide me to my desired profession and the goal I have set for my life.

You say the word "wisdom" too much, otherwise, you have an excellent essay. Nice work!
OP vanamrungisara 1 / 2  
Thank you very much, Jennifer!
It is really helpful.
I really appreciate it :)))

Home / Undergraduate / 'leaving my country, family, friends' + 'Thai medications' Gonzaga U and MCPHS