'my Lebanese heritage and culture' - UC essay

nounoub21 3 / 11 1  
PROMPT #1:
A thunderous explosion rattled the building and shrieks and screams could be heard through all the hallways. A missile strike had just toppled an a--djoining hilltop and fiery smoke began to rise. Being only ten, I panicked and instinctively ran to my hotel room, looking for my mom and brother. Once united, we had to flee from the chaos and leave Lebanon immediately. Our scheduled long, three month vacation had just been shortened to a week. With the airport bombed and closed, we were left wondering about a safe route home. I was disillusioned with this land and began to draw away from it, not wanting to be a part of it.

As an American raised in a Lebanese household, I found that my Lebanese values conflicted with my American way of life as I struggled to blend the two contrasting cultures. Having lived in America all my life, I was used to the comfort, security, and freedom. Returning home after that life changing experience, I continued to question the need to stay connected with my Lebanese heritage. As a young adult, I grew to realize how fortunate I am to be able to experience both cultures and proudly embrace my identity.

While my parents enjoyed living in America, they encouraged me to learn about the Lebanese culture. However, I didn't see the necessity of Sunday school, learning Arabic, singing cultural hymns, and visiting family in Lebanon. I felt that they were pointless as I lived in America. This feeling grew even stronger after my terrifying visit. Surprisingly, that experience did not disturb my parents at all. In fact, they were already thinking and planning their next visit. They often reminisce fondly about their childhood days in Lebanon. As my father shared his stories, he spoke about his love for the beauty of the land, the warmth of the people, and the richness of the culture and history. He shared that he grew up in a world he never wanted to leave. Unfortunately, the instability in Lebanon caused him and his family to look for a new home overseas. However, he never had a negative outlook and always kept all his precious memories and life experiences close to his heart. My mother also chose to hold onto the warmhearted memories that often made her smile and long for a return visit.

This had a profound impact on me and I found myself being drawn into their stories and wanting to learn more yet I was still struggling with the memory of the explosion. As I became a young adult, I became more open to learning about the culture and began to accept my identity. While attending A Lebanese festival with my family, I instinctively spoke Arabic, enjoyed participating in the dabke dance line, savored delicacies, and was entertained by renditions of traditional Lebanese hymns. Standing in that moment, it became apparent that everyone around me also came from the same world of conflict, trying to maintain their heritage and traditions while assimilating into the American way of life. I now realize how privileged I am to be able to experience the love of both cultures. I yearn to go back to visit Lebanon to continue my journey of cultural enrichment despite the instability. I would love to create my own memories and experiences to share with others and to help them understand the importance of embracing their identity too.
ah_zafari [Contributor] 40 / 672 148  
You wrote a very good essay. I enjoyed reading it. I have just some suggestions that you will find them below:

WhileAlthough ("while" is OK, but I prefer "although". Just a suggestion) my parents enjoyed living in America, they encouraged me to learn about the Lebanese culture. However, I didn't(do not use contractions in writing) see the necessity of Sunday school, learning Arabic, singing cultural hymns, and visiting family in Lebanon. I felt that they were pointless as I lived in America. This feeling grew even stronger after my terrifying visit. Surprisingly, that experience did not disturb my parents at all. In fact, they were already thinking and planning their next visit. They often reminisce fondly about their childhood days in Lebanon. As my father shared (I think "recount" is a better word in this context) his stories, he spoke about his love for the beauty of the land, the warmth of the people, and the richness of the culture and history. He shared that he grew up in a world he never wanted to leave. Unfortunately, the instability in Lebanon causedobliged him and his family to leave his country to a distant landlook for a new home overseas . However, he never had a negative outlook and always kept all his precious memories and life experiences close to his heart. My mother also chose to hold onto the warmhearted memories that often made her smile and long for a return visit.

Hope this helps
Have fun
ahmad
4m4jordan4m4 8 / 16 1  
I really like your essay but I would try and focus a little less on describing your world and more on how it shaped you and your future goals.

Home / Undergraduate / 'my Lebanese heritage and culture' - UC essay