Lehigh Supplement: Founding your own college or university

maryp630 7 / 20  
Please answer one of the following questions. As a guideline, your response should be between 150-250 words.
2. If you founded your own college or university, what topic of study would you make mandatory for all students to study and why? What would be the values and priorities of your institution and why?

"Dad, I want to learn how to speak French." We were walking down the aisle at Staples last year, looking for the Berlitz computer course. Why French? Different cultures have always captivated my attention but I was especially intrigued by France. It's astounding that someone can speak and understand another person in a different way. French just had Je ne sais quoi. This sudden interest in France inspired me to study on my own. Once I picked up the course, I felt powerful in a way I had never felt before. With French, I felt different and unique because no one else in my family or friends had taken the initiative to learn another language. French was my thing. My dad says two heads are better than one. It is the same with languages. The more languages you know the better. Therefore, if I were to found my own college or university, I would make the foreign languages mandatory for all students to study. Language is the only way humans are able to communicate and understand each other. If everyone knew at least two languages, they would understand everything that goes on around them. As for values and priorities, my college or university will prioritize a well-rounded education for all students. After all, "Life is too short not to make the best and the most of everything that comes your way every day."
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
Mary

At first I thought you were extremely off the mark in answering the topic, but you tied in your love of French in perfectly with the course you wanted to study.

I rather like the ending as well. Overall beautifully written and explained while remaining very genuine to yourself. Lovely job.

Just a few suggestions.

"Dad, I want to learn how to speak French." We were walking down the aisle at Staples last year, looking for the Berlitz computer course. Why French? Different cultures have always captivated my attentionme but I was especially intrigued by France. It's astounding that someone can speak and understand another person in a different way. French just had Je ne sais quoi. (LOVED this touch) This sudden interest in France inspired me to study on my own. Once I picked up the course, I felt powerful in a way I had never felt before. With French, I felt different and unique because no one else in my family or friends had taken the initiative to learn another language. French was my thing. My dad always says two heads are better than one. It is the same with languages. The more languages you know the better.(reword) Therefore, if I were to found my own college or university, I would make the foreign languages mandatory for all students to study. Language is the only way humans are able to communicate and understand each other. If everyone knew at least two languages, they would understand everything that goes on around them.(Just because you know 2/more languages does not mean you would immediately understand EVERYTHING around you - reword) As for values and priorities, my college or university will prioritize a well-rounded education for all students. After all, "Life is too short not to make the best and the most of everything that comes your way every day."

Hope this helps & I would love if it you took a look at any of my essays. Thanks!
OP maryp630 7 / 20  
Thanks Zhoe, Just a question. How can I reword this sentence? The more languages you know the better.
Anxhela 6 / 28  
"Different cultures have always captivated my attention but I was especially intrigued by France. It's astounding that someone can speak and understand another person in a different way."---- I think you should put more particulars. These sentences appear not that strong to me. How do you think?

I loved the end. That last sentence fits perfectly :)
hope this helps
ZhoeK 5 / 173  
The more languages you know the better.

Mhmmm maybe,
'The more languages you know, the more diverse you will be.'
OR
'The more languages you know, the more open to learning a new culture you will be.'
OR
'The more languages you know, the more cultured you are.'

I don't know if those helped at all. Thanks for your help as well.
4151yhh 3 / 9  
How can I reword this sentence?

I guess you can say the "The more language you learn, the more cultured you will be" What Zhoe has was good, but I just think learn explain more than just know.

So good luck!~ same as you, I'm applying to Lehigh too~

Home / Undergraduate / Lehigh Supplement: Founding your own college or university