Why Lehigh? - "One of Lehigh's professors, programs and its great sense of community"

linhnguyen2112 3 / 6  
Hi, this is my why essay for Lehigh. Please read and tell me if it is convincing and detailed enough. Criticisms are welcomed. Thank you so much in advance!!!!!!!!

I have a few reasons why I want to apply for Lehigh and one of them is Lehigh's Anthropology and Sociology programs which I intend to major in. When I researched on these programs, I felt very excited to find two videos about the research trip of Professor Bruce Whitehouse and Lehigh's Anthropology students to Bamako in Mali. The fact that Professor Whitehouse had visited Africa almost 20 years before and kept returning as a student, a peace worker, a graduate student, and a professor, impressed me very much, because it shows his passion for his career, which makes him a dedicated professor. Besides, though I've never met Prof. Whitehouse, I can feel his friendliness through his simplicity and cheerfulness in the photo he took with his two students and can't wait to attend his class. I find Global Union's activities such as the Language Exchange Program fascinating too. Even though I've had some leadership experience organizing Franco fęte, our class' annual festival for French students, and staging the first French version of Romeo & Juliet in Vietnam, I want to develop my organization and leadership skills further by becoming a Global Union representative. We can set up the Vietnamese Literary Club for example.

Yet, what makes me love Lehigh most is its strong sense of community. With more than 7,000 students, Lehigh has organizations and programs to help students from different backgrounds forget their differences and get involved. One of my friends is gay and he is treated with contempt and often teased by others. Even his father doesn't accept him. So I believe that by participating in LGBTQIA Services' Safe Zone Project, I'll know more about the LGBTQIA community and learn how to help others understand LGBTQIA people's feelings and respect them. Besides Lehigh's intramural activities, I'm also impressed by the 50,000 hours that Lehigh students contribute to community services. As I've learned much from my volunteer work of taking care of autistic children at the Morning Star Center in Hanoi, I'm enthralled to continue to contribute and learn from Lehigh's community programs such as helping children do their homework or buying Christmas presents for South Bethlehem families. Although I haven't visited Lehigh yet, this inspiring sense of community at Lehigh makes me strongly believe I can easily get involved with Lehigh's awesome students.

For these reasons above, I sincerely hope Lehigh will be the destination of my four memorable years in college. If admitted, I'll continue to work hard to improve my knowledge and personality to contribute to Lehigh. I hope Lehigh will recognize potential and give me a chance to become a member.
When I researched on these programs, I felt very excited to find two videos about the research trip...

Yet, what makes me love Lehigh most, is its strong sense of community.

...at the Morning Star Center in Hanoi, I'm enthralled to continue to contribute and learn from Lehigh's community programs, such as helping children do their homework or buying Christmas presents for South Bethlehem families.

Although I haven't visited Lehigh yet, this inspiring sense of community there makes me strongly believe I can easily get involved with Lehigh's awesome students.

I hope Lehigh will recognize my potential and give me a chance to become a member.

:)

Home / Undergraduate / Why Lehigh? - "One of Lehigh's professors, programs and its great sense of community"