Leslie Chow; Letter to Roomate - Harvard Supplement

chewbaccablack 6 / 18 3  
Hey guys, could you comment on whether you could kind of understand who I am from this essay? Other feedback are welcome too!

Dear Future Roommate,

Hey! My name is Student, and I am from South Korea. Don't worry about the pronunciation. You can call me Reno, like the city in Nevada. You know, Reno 911 (it was my nickname since long ago.) Quite a unique (maybe funny) name right? I'll tell you more about it once I see you in the dorm.

Anyway to begin, I will tell you some aspects of me.

Firstly, I know that there are aspects of Korean culture that many people from other cultures don't understand, such as men holding hands or touching each other, even in private places. Don't worry. I won't be the typical Korean you know of. Yeah, there are some Confucian influences in me, like respecting my parents and the elders, but I have lived most of my life abroad and spent my childhood and teenage years with international friends.

Secondly, I was born on the 23rd of September. Guess what horoscope I have? I have two, Virgo and Libra (this is a bit controversial). According to some sites, Virgo ends on the 23rd of September, but according to other, Libra starts on the 23rd of September. That is why I started to believe that I have two horoscopres. You know, the more the better.

Thirdly, I have a black belt in Taekwondo. My master wanted me to participate in a national competition, but my parents declined since they wanted me to pursue academics rather than sports - not to downplay my love for learning. I always thought it a mistake not to persuade my parents, but it's in the past. But I still exercise and practice martial arts on my time. That is why if you cannot find me in the dorm, I will probably be at the gym working out or playing sports outside. I hope you love sports as well. Then we could perhaps try out for the intramural sports together. Also, FIFA World Cup is coming up soon. I am really excited about it since I can finally watch the matches in daytime instead of staying up until three in the night to watch the breathtaking matches. I really really hope that you have interest in sports as I do, especially in soccer. But if not, I am sure we can find something in common, such as volleyball or basketball.

Thirdly, I love chicken. If I had a choice between a bucket of fried chicken and $1,000, I would take the $1,000 and buy ten buckets of fried chicken. I can eat chicken for every meal, for every day. I just love chicken.

Fourthly, I guess when you hear

Lastly, I love being with friends. Oh yea, there are times when I really want to be alone, but that is about two days per year. I think I cannot live without people, from friends to families. If you are done with all your work, we could go out for dinner or take other friends to dinner. I think it would be awesome. That is why I believe that roommates should get along. As roommates, we have to see each other 24/7. If there is trouble or awkwardness between us, our days in college would not be as good as they should be. So if you have any pet peeves, please let me. I will try to avoid them as much as I can.

Talking about pet peeves, I will tell you some of mine.
1) messy rooms
2) listening to music while I am studying
3) using my things without asking (this can actually be okay when we get close enough)

By the way, I hope you like Leslie Chow from The Hangover. I can impersonate him pretty well. My friends in Turkey used to call me Leslie and asked me if I could copy Leslie's voice. I plan to dress up like Leslie on Halloween this year. I would love it if you could be Leslie's bodyguard ;)

Thanks! See you soon!

PS. Trust me future-my-man. When you need help, call me. I will be there for you.
Birdiee 6 / 35 1  
You used thirdly twice...
sj1912 3 / 18 1  

either rephrase it better or delete it! it breaks d awesum flow of ur essay
u used thirdly twice
u cud cut this down a little bit to balance d essay!

overall, great work, i had funr reading! gudluk!
P.S.- cud u please review mine too!! :)
Mfrazzano 1 / 5  
very well written, and i love that it has a funny-ish tone behind it as well. Just a little touching up on grammar and structure and it's definitely ready to be sent.

Good luck!

Home / Undergraduate / Leslie Chow; Letter to Roomate - Harvard Supplement