'life of grandfather in rural South Korea' - UT prompt 1

Songkong 4 / 8  
Write an essay in which you tell us about someone who has made an impact on your life and explain how and why this person is important to you.\

No doubt that reaching the college level is an outstanding achievement, especially when high school is the first American experience that is exposed; my uncle was the first one in our family to reach this level and is the only one so far to successfully finish. My uncle was born and raised, for the first 16 years of his life in rural South Korea along with three older sisters. He was burdened with cultural issues due to being the only son of the family and therefore having to carry on the family legacy. So, from early on he established his role and took responsibility. Though, in search of a better life, the whole family moved to the United States, and he was the only one left to continue some sort of academic life. His hardest struggle was the language barrier, which took him years to overcome. Gradually he got more comfortable and opened himself up to the American culture; joining all sorts of activities and even making it on the varsity sports teams. Once he got into college, he worked even harder and managed to graduate with outstanding scores. Proceeding from then, he has chosen his preferred line of work and lives a happy life. However, my uncle is more than just an inspirational paradigm to me, but more of a teacher. He does not give false hope or clichĂŠ advice; rather, he takes his knowledge from his own experiences and teaches the definite truths of reality. Ever since middle school, he has mentored me and has facilitated my growth.

Growing up, I never thought that I would go through the "rebellious" stage, but ironically I think that I have been the most. The fact that my parents are immigrants, I know that they will not understand my problems and will try to fix everything in their own fashion. Their advice to everything is "STUDY! STUDY! STUDY!," which is not even relevant most of the time. Even though my uncle spent most of his adolescence in Korea, he still comprehends the everyday struggles of an American teenager. I can tell from how he interacts with my grandparents that he went through similar things here and has overcome such cultural behaviors, so I trust and take his assistance when it comes to my own problems; which he loves to weigh in on. He usually takes time out of his busy job schedule to take my cousin and me out for lunch, just to check on how our progress in school has been and what thought for our own futures. He would not try to dig or tell us what to do, but would find our interests and would nurture us around them. For example, he takes my enjoyment of biology and likes to quiz me on everything and anything.

While he is not much of a motivator or one with special speeches for any certain moment, I think his boldness is the best contribution. My uncle goes straight to the critiques with all my tasks and reviews each process with me, of course still telling me when I did well. He really is a mentor to me, in a way Socrates was to Plato, valuing anything I thought and would say. Due to my uncle, I am able to push my boundaries and explore to understand life better in general. I believe that the best advice I have ever gotten from him was "There's no need to be scared of failure, it's just life." Though the sentence was simple and subtle, it has had a tremendous effect on how I view existence, and I take his advice into my next step, which is college.
Jennyflower81 - / 690 96  
No doubt that reaching the college level is an outstanding achievement, especially when high school is the first American experience that is exposed; my uncle was the first one in our family to reach this level and is the only one so far to successfully finish.

This sentence is a bit long, maybe you should find a way to shorten it, or make it 2 sentences, let me suggest a way to do that:

"Earning a college education is an outstanding achievement. For a non-American who immigrated during high school, my uncle was the first in my family to succeed at gaining a college degree."

So,From an early onage, he established his role and took responsibility.

Proceeding from then, he has chosen his preferred line of work and lives a happy life.
Maybe say it like this: "After college, he proceeded to choose a career and live a happy life."

Ever since middle school, he has mentored me and has facilitated my growth.encouraged me to grow.

He usually takes time out of his busy job schedule to take my cousin and meI out for lunch, just to check on how our progress in school has been and what thought for our own futures.our plans for the future.

Home / Undergraduate / 'life of grandfather in rural South Korea' - UT prompt 1