"life is not promised" - FAMU essay . no longer than 500 words. prompt below

shaniquajene 1 / -  
how has your family , culture, and environment influenced who you are today?
what unique characteristics or qualities could you bring to the univeristy community?

heres my essay :

Growing up, your family is substantial factor of who one is and will become in the future. My family environment influenced me in almost all aspects of my life both in and out of school. Without family, many people seem to make simple blunders in life that could have been easily avoided with the guidance from a loved one, this is exactly why I am extremely grateful for my family. My life has helped mold the characteristics and qualities that I am pleased to have today.

Coming from a military background, I've always moved around and seen many different cultures and places. Like Alaska, Florida, Arizona, along with being born in Germany. Therefore being able to adapt is a major part of my personality. I'm completely used to being the "new kid", and I'm okay with that. Most people would view this as a burden from gaining true friendships or being able to settle down. But I see it as blessing in disguise. I'm able to adapt to change more easily than others, see places and understand thing that others couldn't in my short lifetime. Also if something doesn't' necessarily go as planned, I find it less difficult to achieve the same intended results in a different way. Being brought up in a different way than my peers has allowed for me to grasp a better insight of the true meaning of family.

Although being an "army brat" is a part of me, the greatest part of me comes from my home-life. Most of my life I was raised in a single-parent home by my mother, Melissa Golphin. Thought single-parent homes aren't unusual these days, my circumstances were very unique compared to others. My mother is a homosexual, and gets much backlash for this. My viewpoint on the situation is that my upbringing was no different from a child being raised in home with a mother and father except for the fact that my mom was both. In all actuality I feel as if I'm more of an open - minded person as a result of it. I tend to be less judgmental of people when first meeting them, and I don't judge a book by the cover. Without my mom, I definitely would not be half of the person I am today, and even in a million years I still couldn't think of a million ways to thank her.

One of the greatest characteristics of my personality is that I live everyday to its fullest because life is not promised. I took me a while to learn this and I'm disappointed to say that I learned it during the worst time. My grandmother was died when I was 15, but even in her dying days she was still incredible. Regardless of if she could barely get out of the bed, she never ceased to look amazing. She taught me that even if you're on your deathbed, you have a choice other than to sit and wait for death to come.
Without family, many people seem to make simple blunders in life that could have been easily avoided through the guidance of a loved one, and this is exactly...

My family life has helped mold the characteristics...

LikeI've lived in Alaska, Florida, Arizona, and I was born in Germany.

In all actuality I feel as if I'm more of an open - minded person as a result of it.

Without my mom, I definitely would not be half of the person ...

...personality is that I live every day to its fullest because life is not promised.

It took me a while to learn this...

My grandmother was died when I was 15, but even in her dying days she was still incredible.

Home / Undergraduate / "life is not promised" - FAMU essay . no longer than 500 words. prompt below