"Let your life speak" - Tufts University supplement

Danah96 5 / 14 6  
There is a Quaker saying: "Let your life speak." Describe the environment in which you were raised-your family, home, neighborhood or community-and how it influenced the person you are today. Limit: 200-250 words. Mine is 249 words exactly.

In Saudi Arabia, people have a habit of being reserved. Unlike I have experienced in the US, it was never customary to greet a stranger coming into the elevator you're on, or to start small-talk with a store clerk as you're checking out. This, along with the fact that I went to a fairly small private school, severely limited my social skills, and prevented me from meeting others that would share my interests and invest me in issues and topics that appeal to my curiosity. Aside from being taught manners and proper etiquette, the environment I was raised in expanded my sense of wonder. I noticed that my interests began resembling those of a child's. Rather than spending time mingling via social networks, I preferred building forts in the sun, telling haunted tales beneath the moon, and sitting on rooftops watching the sunset. Despite any company, I always faced a communication barrier with others. To most, the stars shining brightly in the sky were the equivalent of decorative pieces highlighting a tranquil evening, but to me they were the tools of inspiration. Every night, I would look at the brightest star and marvel at the uncertainty of its existence. I sometimes felt as though the isolation of my views would squander my passion, but coming to America, and meeting the people I never knew existed showed me that my enthusiasm didn't stagnate over those long years, but was conserved, waiting to for the chance to finally be let out.
Danah, let me try and clean this up for you. See if it works :-)

- Coming from Saudi Arabia, I differ from the average American in the sense that I come from a more reserved culture. So I am not inclined to be warm to strangers by having small talk with them. Having come from a small private school in Saudi also limited my social skills and learning abilities because of the limitations that are placed upon female education in Saudi. I am a prim and proper person with the interests and curiosity of a child. Sometimes I feel that my social background and isolated upbringing ruined my chances to become a woman of substance. When I came to America though, I came to realize that I had not stagnated at all. I was merely hibernating until the chance to become a productive member of society, as America offered to me, became not only a possibility but a reality.

This has 144 words. I hope it works for you :-)
OP Danah96 5 / 14 6  
Thank you so much for your help :)

Home / Undergraduate / "Let your life speak" - Tufts University supplement