Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

I like to help people; Statement of purpose

labakebaby 1 / -  
At an early age I have known that i like to help people. As a child I helped take of my father who had diabetes and hypertension. Little did I know that I was shaping my future to becoming a nurse? At that age I did not understand the disease process, but I was able to encourage him to check his sugar (then stripes where dipped into urine). I encouraged him to take his medication on time, made sure he followed up on doctor's appointments. I encouraged him to eat right and exercise. This experience sparked my interest in becoming a nurse. When I came into the United States, I was able to pursue this dream; I enrolled in school and pursued my degree in nursing whilst juggling family life.

Ones attitude in life is important, because it shapes the way an individual observes and sees experiences.it can either make or break an experience. After graduating from the University of Maryland and getting my license, getting a job was not easy, I had applied at several hospitals but demand was more than supply. Most of my mates had gotten jobs in hospital settings (which I wanted real badly, because of the experience I would gain) but I did not get a job at the hospital, I instead got a job at a nursing home. I decided to embrace the opportunity because I knew that whatever the setting, I would still be providing nursing care to the patients. This opportunity has given me the privilege to care for a range of patients and their families. A patient on my unit was obese and had, had both legs amputated, moving around on her wheelchair was really difficult for her and was also taking a toll on her. She always complained of pain in her shoulders, arms and back. Soon I noticed that she hardly ever left her room (I used to see her during dinner in the dining room or for activities with other patients). I went and checked on her and found her in bed, I asked why she was still in bed and why I had not seen her for a while. She told me that getting around in her wheelchair had become extremely difficult especially for her age. I educated her on the importance of getting out of bed, socializing with other patients and informing her nurse about her needs. I went to the unit manager and verbalized the patient's needs with her. Consult was made with physical therapy and the patient's social worker, they were able to assess her and put in a request for her to have a motorized wheelchair. The patient now gets up and gets out of her room, she looks a lot happier and participates in activities that are available in the facility. This experience has helped shape my attitude that whatever patient care setting you find yourself, it's what you make out of it that shapes your attitude.

I believe that there are challenges to being a nurse practioner in georgetown university is enourmous, but my attitude towards challeging situation will be vital for me in the school. I am self motivated, I set my priorities, I follow through and evaluate how I use my time so that care can be delivered effectively and on time. because of the goal of becoming a nurse practitioner, I laid a good foundation by making sure that the standard of education I got for my undergraduate course was from a reputable school and I am maintaining this standard my applying to georgetown for my graduate school. goergetown has an excellent reputation

Home / Undergraduate / I like to help people; Statement of purpose