I would like to revise my essay for ACCD - The three major artists and designers

JudgeDredd 1 / 1  
I haven't written anything in years, so I'm pretty rusty. Actually, I am extremely rusty. Anyways, I would love some feedback, thank you. - Richard

The question: Who do you believe to be the three major artists and designers who are shaping the discipline you are interested in pursuing or who have influenced you? These should be individuals who have brought relevance to the world or to you in some social, political, emotional, economic, or other meaningful context. Explain why you feel they are important. In what ways do you want your own work to contribute to or make a difference in the world?

Richard Rodriguez

For a long time, I have struggled with anxiety. Moreover, no matter how much I exceed with each task, I would feel weighed down with insecurities. I would pressure myself on learning just about anything to keep my mind occupied from having doubts that could hinder my confidence. Year after year was a nauseating endurance after another. I desperately wanted to change.

One day, while learning from an art tutorial, I stumbled upon Dave Rapoza's biography and I've noticed some similarities between us. We both share a similar childhood history living with a low-income family, action/adventure movies are both genres that have fueled our imaginations, we enjoy 80's pop culture, and for most of our lives we were self-taught artists - he instantly became a real motivator for me. Anytime I find myself struggling with art, if I fail or sense any disappointment, I no longer feel buried under skepticism because I know that somebody like me can make a career in the industry. When you look up to all these prolific artists, you feel small by comparison, all I needed was somebody I can relate to turn it all around for me and that was Dave Rapoza.

For Craig Mullins, many consider him as one of the best in digital illustration and a true pioneer of the medium while working at a master level. At the infancy of digital painting, nobody could simulate physical media as Craig Mullins could. His concepts bring out a certain verisimilitude, natural and precise impressions due to his control of light and clever brush work. He has a way of making his world believable without appearing superficial and restricted. I find that, unlike most digital artists, he is not afraid to express grandiose visuals and become committed to experimenting new techniques and styles. He constantly breaks the mold, rearranging the process and making it all exciting. While his designs are inspiring, Craig Mullins pushes boundaries in digital painting and reinventing the craft of it that, I think, helped contribute on giving digital art a well-respected platform.

Last but not least, Drew Struzan, in my eyes, is the maestro of producing magic purely out of white canvas and paint. His movie posters are modern-day classics many present-day artists will find it hard to rival. The way he depicts movies through his art can have the power to pack audiences straight into theaters. In addition, his posters fetch far more praises than the movies themselves. There is such a high anticipation for Struzan's illustrations that they are not just simple movie posters, but masterpieces to many. Unfortunately, film posters by Drew Struzan and the works from other poster artists faded over the years with film advertisements opting for cheap and quickly produced images. It is an absolute disappointment to see iconic images fade from the public eye when they've brought in so much heart, thrill, and imagination only to be overtaken by unappealing and forgettable movie covers. In any case, the connections between his renderings and audiences are met with a highly admired accomplishment. You will find more life in Struzan's art than within a single movie frame.

For someone who was very timid of the idea of pursuing a career in drawing, this path felt nothing more than a fantasy, a dream job, especially with established artists setting seemingly unreachable standards. Listen, I have always had a knack for drawing since I was a child, but I was afraid of trying to do something. It would be easy for me to withdraw completely. However, it is not within my heart to take that action. Much of the success for Craig Mullins, Drew Struzan and Dave Rapoza were due to their undying dedication to art. Although there are many others that have influenced me to become an artist, these illustrators opened a door for me at what it takes to be an artist. It is through them I have taken pride of my failures and my personal victories. Since then my confidence has shook the very foundation of my insecurities. Doubts no longer hinder my faith on myself; in fact, it fuels me to work even harder. I hope that in my future I can become successful not to bask in its fruits, but to inspire and send every bit of hope into hearts of every artist.
Hiddengrace 6 / 118 68  
Hi Richard! Welcome to EF. I think your essay is pretty well written! There are some mistakes here and there but otherwise I think it reads pretty well and the points you have made come across clearly for the most part.

What I'm here to point out is that I'm not sure if you are fulfilling the requirements of what you are asked. Let's break the prompt down into parts:

1.Who do you believe to be the three major artists and designers who are shaping the discipline you are interested in pursuing or who have influenced you? These should be individuals who have brought relevance to the world or to you in some social, political, emotional, economic, or other meaningful context.

Okay, you've chosen your three artists who have influenced you or your art discipline. Check. I'm just not sure what the relevance or meaningful context is for all of them. For Rapoza, I see that the significance is that you have similar backgrounds so he inspires you because you can relate to his upbringing and feel that if he can do it, so can you. This works great. With Mullins, I'm not seeing a meaningful context. I see why he is important and why he has shaped your discipline. And plus, he's awesome. Yes, I googled your artists. How has Mullins brought relevance into the world or to you in those ways (socially, politically, economically, etc...)? For Struzan, I kind of see this, but it could be a little clearer. You definitely discuss his importance, and I can see how turning movie/ film posters into art is relevant, but I think it could be explained a little better with more detail.

2. Explain why you feel they are important.

Check, check and check.

3. In what ways do you want your own work to contribute to or make a difference in the world?

I'm not sure I see this in your essay. I would definitely take some time to think about this and explore it in your essay. You've talked about anxiety quite a bit and I don't really see the relevance to your essay the way it stands currently. However, if you want to make it known that people with anxiety can still go to school, accomplish things, and become prolific, amazing, talented artists despite their mental health-- well that's a great difference to make!
OP JudgeDredd 1 / 1  
Hey, thanks for the response.

I made some additions to Mullins and Struzan, which I hope makes things better.
Craig
...While his designs are inspiring, Craig Mullins pushes boundaries in digital painting and reinventing the craft of it that, I think, helped contribute on giving digital art a well-respected platform.I see Craig Mullins' ingenuity as a great influence on approaching design, never accept the standard and take risks in your craft. Therefore, for someone like me who gets a little nervous, it is encouraging to be bold, creative and accept mistakes along the way. If Mullins can mess up, so can I.

Drew
...You will find more life in Struzan's art than within a single movie frame. With that, Drew aroused my attention to this kind of career choice. Whenever I view his astounding work, I feel compelled to strike audiences just as hard as Struzan. Although, I am not nearly as talented as he is, the beauty of his images excites me from yielding and, instead, to chase art with full determination.

I feel as if they sound a little out of left field. Anyways, I'm glad you like them, haha. They're really amazing talents.
Hi Richard, for the first part of your essay, I would suggest that you do a paragraph or a few sentences that will open the conversation and showcase a summary of facts about the essay.

Moving on, each of your paragraph has been an idea that deals with totally different point that further describes or depicts the topic of the essay. What I liked about the essay is that you were able to group the differences accordingly, you also made sure that non of the traits are repeated in the essay, it was one idea after the other, while making sure that there is a smooth transition of your essay.

For future writing reference, I would suggest that you also create a better introduction to your essays as this is the opening of your article and an eye opener to the ideas you are trying to impart to your readers.

I hope to review more of your essays soon.

Home / Undergraduate / I would like to revise my essay for ACCD - The three major artists and designers