I have never really liked languages and learning a new one was the hardest thing I had to do

maria96 2 / 4  
Hey guy this is my first college essay can you help with the grammar and also tell me what you think?

Prompt:Some students have a background or story that is so central to their identity that they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story

It was September. I was kind of scary during the whole trip, it was the first time I travel in an airplane. The wind blew against my face and the temperature was a little cooler than the ones I was used to. My legs felt a little numb and my whole body felt sort from sitting on a plane for a long period of time. I flew almost eight hours from Lima, Peru to Dulles Airport in Virginia. I finally heard the fly foster announced the landing of the fly; my dad was sitting beside me asking if I was exciting that I was finally in the U.S. After we got our baggage we went outside and took a cab. As the taxi drove for the streets I notice how different everything was from my country, it was definitely nothing like the city; there was not traffic at all, everything seem quieter and calm, and the highways were surrounded by lots of trees. After we left of baggage at the house my dad took me to Wal-Mart to buy some groceries. I clearly remember when the cashier asked me how I was; I didn't understand what he was saying so I just nod. It was the first time that someone spoke to me in English.

Other than knowing names of international brand and the names of a few music groups, I didn't know how to speak English. The first day of school was kind of hard, some lady make me take a test to measure how much English I knew; I never knew the results of the test ,but I imagine it must have been low since I didn't answer most of the questions. In the classroom, the teacher taught me the most basic English from simple words to greetings. The first with week was a challenge, the teachers gave the class in English and it was hard to understand what they were saying. It was frustrating not being able to express my thoughts of the topics I already knew. I never really like languages and learning a new one was the hardest thing I had to do. The pronunciation was different from the writing and the grammar was not the same as in Spanish.

As the weeks passed, I slowly began learning more words and I began applying more on learning the language. I remember how excited I was the day I finished reading my first book in English without having to look a word in the dictionary. By the month I knew enough words in English that I could communicate and understand my teachers so well that they decided put in regular classes. My classmates were very friendly and tried to talk with me but I couldn't reply properly since I still had to translate the words from English to Spanish and vice versa. As the moths went by the words in English began to come naturally and I stopped translating the words. The more English I learned the easier my academic classes were, back them I didn't know about the honor or AP classes so I went to summer school in order to have more challenging classes.

Year after year the scores my English proficiency test improved. Looking back and see how easy the test was makes me realize how much I have accomplished in these four years and all the things I can accomplish in the future if I set my mind to do it. The fact that I'm writing this essay shows how much I learned. The path I took and the experiences I had certainly defined me and made the person that I am now. If someone ask me if I would like to go back in time and change my decision to come to America, I would say no because it's the best decision I ever made.
fionaleeeee 2 / 17  
The wind blew against my face

not sure there is any wind on the plane tho

I never really like languages and learning a new one was the hardest thing I had to do

I don't think the admission minister will appreciate a negative attitude...

If someone ask me if I would like to go back in time and change my decision to come to America, I would say no because it's the best decision I ever made.

I have ever made

Home / Undergraduate / I have never really liked languages and learning a new one was the hardest thing I had to do