Linear Reasoning in Math Competition

jebhogiaye 6 / 14  
The hushed buzz of competing schools discussing possible solutions to the problem floods my eardrums as I attempt to concentrate on reading the question. As I discuss the ways to solve the problem with my teammates, Edward, who reminds me of suggests in a trembling voice that we solve the problem using trial and error, but I know that there is a better way to solve the problem. The ticking of the clock pounds in my eardrums as time winds down. We have exhausted too much time on this problem, and we are dreading to hear the bell that signals the end of the round since we have spent so much time on this question. As I sort through the problem using the solution method that my teammate who reminds me of a character from Mean Girls, my senses are suddenly enhanced: I can hear the conversations of other teams, feel the hexagonal ridges of my yellow pencil, and smell the sweat of me and my teammates. This problem caused a crisis for the team, and the general outlook on the competition of team members was bleak.

Mathematics is my favorite subject because of its focus on thought processes and problem solving techniques. Since I am a composed and explicit person, I enjoy the challenge of questions with unequivocal answers. My character's orderly side draws me enthusiastically towards precise solutions; my creativity gives rise to my acceptance of new ideas. All questions have definite answers; we just need to construct ways of reaching them. Linear reasoning is my preferred method of solving problems because the systematic sequence of formulas can be applied to many situations. It was through practice problem solving for the math team that I learned how to think linearly and efficiently, and I have relied on linear reasoning for most mathematical quandaries. For that reason, my specialty in competitions is the set of logic problems in which linear reasoning can be applied.

During math competitions, I usually revert to linear reasoning and provide a unique perspective on the problems, but I am always open to different viewpoints and methods of solving the problems. To solve this problem, I utilized a method I had learned in math class. For this particular problem, linear reasoning cannot be applied, but I took heed of Edward's suggestion and solved the problem using a technique we had learned while in a math team meeting. I love my math team because I am able to explore my interest in systematic reasoning and problem solving.
silentspring 12 / 58  
Your essay is very well written especially the story. What is the prompt?
OP jebhogiaye 6 / 14  
It's the "Topic of Your Choice" CommonApp essay.
its_spacely - / 13  
This quote doesn't seem to make grammatical sense, did you mean to say teammates in the plural or singular?

As I discuss the ways to solve the problem with my teammates, Edward, who reminds me of suggests in a trembling voice that we solve the problem using trial and error, but I know that there is a better way to solve the problem.

I like this whole sentence but you could change this:

and we are dreading to hear the bell that signals the end of the round since we have spent so much time on this question

to: and we are dreading hearing the bell that signals the end of the round, since we have spent so much time on this question.

As I sort through the problem using the solution method that my teammate who reminds me of a character from Mean Girls, my senses are suddenly enhanced: I can hear the conversations of other teams, feel the hexagonal ridges of my yellow pencil, and smell the sweat of me and my teammates. This problem caused a crisis for the team, and the general outlook on the competition of team members was bleak.

This first part (As I...Mean Girls) doesn't make sense to me. Also change "smell the sweat of me and my teammates" to "smell the sweat of my teammates and I".

Your last paragraph is really good, but I feel like you've used "problem" a lot...maybe look in a thesaurus and see if there are any other words that could fit the meaning you're portraying.

Overall it's really good and shows your passion, you come across well in this essay!

Home / Undergraduate / Linear Reasoning in Math Competition