'little delicate bells ringing' - Stanford - the Intellectual Engaging essay

choi_minho 1 / 3  
Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging.

When I start, I think of little delicate bells ringing. The faint tinkling of the bells carries solemn weight as it drifts by the canals of Venice. Then, a cast of stronger, more powerful bells joins the cause as gentle waves in the canals below swell. A shift. Raindrops plop playfully as the scene changes.

Underneath the illusion, fingers fly, blurring as they flit from black white keys to others, hunting down those running black dots, so easily discernable from the stark white background. Some huddle in a massive grouping- rapid fingers devour them alive- and some jump high and far- fingers leap to tackle from the above. And coating all that force, is my face, my body. Grief, happiness, intense passion pass through as each scene overtakes another, as each finger flies past another.

Music captivates in that manner. The artistry has to be appealing as the technique has to be perfect. But how does one do that- how does one focus on the main overall topic, the essential meaning of any piece while detailing each intricacy of little phrases and remembering every key stroke simultaneously? Each time my mind plucks one phrase from a sea, the flow becomes disrupted. Suddenly, the piece becomes only notes played but no heralding force pushing forth. So, if each part of the song is as important as the next, then why is it that the overall melody the one to pull a song through? Music is such a paradox.

please tell me your thoughts! tell me absolutely everything you hate about it- including whether you think i answered the topic or not. THANK YOU SO MUCH.
meisj0n 8 / 272 2  
Very poetic..which is intellectual I guess.
maybe start with the word "Music."
Music. When I start...
mcdy143 5 / 17  
I think you addressed the topic very well. Even though not very clearly, but indeed engaging.

And I think music qualifies as something that is "intellectually engaging".
pcvrz34g 22 / 117  
Music is definately something intellectually engaging. I disagree with mcdy143 in that it is addressed clearly. To question is to be intellectually intrigued, isn't it? :D

I love it so much that I almost envy it.

P.S.: Is it ok if it's that short? Just make sure your word/character count is ok. Other than that, I LOVE IT!.

Please read mine:
OP choi_minho 1 / 3  
thank you guys so much. i would read yours pcvrz34g but i don't see a link for the essay...
EF_Team [Moderator] 41 / 222 15  
i would read yours pcvrz34g but i don't see a link for the essay...

Click on the Username to find all threads strated by user X :)

Home / Undergraduate / 'little delicate bells ringing' - Stanford - the Intellectual Engaging essay