'Live Borderless' - Why UChicago?

kenyaboyfresh 7 / 17  
How does the University of Chicago, as you know it now, satisfy your desire for a particular kind of learning, community, and future? Please address with some specificity your own wishes and how they relate to UChicago.

Whenever I think of UChicago, I remember an old LG TV advertisement titled Live Borderless. In it, a bird, living on the Isle of Flightless Birds, looks up to the skies, spots an airplane, then looks down at his flapping wings, and to the surprise of the other birds, jumps off a cliff and proceeds to fly. This is how I want my education to be, unique. Whenever I received The Life of the Mind in the mail, I realized that UChicago's "common core" created the type of learning environment that I am looking for. Instead of listening to a professor lecture about biology, UChicago offers a discussion based learning environment that not only answers what, but also why and how. At UChicago, I plan on utilizing clinical experience and internships and the quarterly system not only to gain valuable experiences, but to also develop time management, analytic, discussion, and good study habit skills which will allow me to achieve my goal of a double major in biological sciences and biological chemistry towards a medical profession.

The first time I learned about UChicago was at an information session with representatives from Columbia, Cornell, Rice, Brown, and UChicago. The UChicago representative, unlike the others, drew the audience in by her fiery passion. She spoke about campus activities ranging from the Scav Hunt and Summer Breeze to student government and athletics. At the end of her speech, I realized that not only did UChicago have the type of learning environment that I was looking for, but it also had the type of close-knit, diverse, fun, unique, and open-minded community that I want to be a part of.
blueshore 3 / 47  
WOWW! This essay manages to show that you are in fact intrested in U of Chicago.Good job!
"Whenever I received The Life of the Mind in the mail, I realized that " : this needs rewording
Overall very well-supported and loved the intro!
cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
You could revise the third sentence to be like this:
I want my education to be like this advertisement: unique. It just makes it flow better, and its clearer.
hp1472 - / 3  
Colleges don't like to see other colleges names in the essays. I suggest you take it out and just say you saw the uchicago rep

Home / Undergraduate / 'Live Borderless' - Why UChicago?