I lived in 10 different houses in 7 different cities in four countries;Tufts Supp

bellem1 6 / 12 2  
There is a Quaker saying: ''Let your life speak.'' Describe the environment in which you were raised-your family, home, neighborhood, or community-and how it influenced the person you are today. (200-250 words)

I'm the eldest of three girls. My mother used to be an accountant but now she's a stay-at-home mom who is starting an organic icing business, and my dad has a masters' degree in geology but now works for a hedge fund in London. I was born in the small city of London, Ontario, and in a roundabout way I have ended up in the (slightly larger) city of London, England. I've lived in ten different houses in seven different cities in four countries and on three continents. You could say I've had an interesting life.

Having moved around a lot, I can adapt quickly to new situations. While in Peru, I learned how to speak Spanish and my family got a dog. After being in love with the idea of having a cat for the first ten years of my life, I can now say with complete certainty that I am a dog person. Suburban life in Denver reintroduced me to contemporary culture after four years of relative isolation in Peru. Finally, there's London: one of my favourite cities in the world. London has revealed the fact that I am a city dweller. One of my favourite things to do is just wander around with my best friend, with no plan and minimal GPS use. We've stumbled upon some amazing places. Over the years, I've learned to love change rather than fear it. I get bored if I'm doing the same thing all day every day. After five years here, I'm ready for a change. I do heartily agree with Samuel Johnson's quote "A man who is tired of London is tired of life," but I'm not tired of London. It will always be here for me to come back to, and that knowledge gives me the freedom to spread my wings and learn how to fly.

I showed it to my college counsellor and he said it needs a "unifier": any ideas on what that could be? Thanks in advance for any feedback!
petemess95 6 / 9 2  
How about something like "No matter where I am, I..." and put something important about your life. I don't know you as well as you do, so you have to choose what to put. I know this isn't a great help, but it is something to think about as your unifier!
fishes 1 / 10 1  
This is just an idea, feel free to ignore, but you could use the word "London" as a unifier and talk about how you've come full circle (being born in london, being raised in a different london) Emphasize on the humble, mom-is-an-accountant, upbringing vs. the huge cultural hub of London, England.

"We've stumbled upon some amazing places. Over the years, I've learned to love change rather than fear it." that's a good start, elaborate on that.

"I get bored if I'm doing the same thing all day every day." You could say this in a more positive way, for instance talk about how you're restless and always seeking new experiences.

It's good that you've mentioned the other places, but just keep that as a side note to avoid writing a list of been there, done that.

I don't know if you've seen this or not, but this was really helpful in writing my essays, Tufts is definitely looking for unique, quirky voices.

admissions.tufts.edu/blogs/inside-admissions/category/the-supplement/

Home / Undergraduate / I lived in 10 different houses in 7 different cities in four countries;Tufts Supp