Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

"Location, knowledge of biology and medicine" - Why Northwestern?

anotherbrother 1 / 1  
What are the unique qualities of Northwestern - and of the specific undergraduate school to which you are applying - that make you want to attend the University? In what ways do you hope to take advantage of the qualities you have identified?

My first consideration of any college is its location. As a big city boy at heart, originally from Chicago, returning to my home town for college has always been a dream for me. Going to Northwestern, the top school of the town, would be absolutely perfect for me. I would only be a short drive away from, as the Northwestern website describes it, "a world-class city." The famous Magnificent Mile, Navy Pier on Lake Michigan, and my favorite Potbelly sandwich shop would all be part of my everyday college experience-that's a dream come true.

As I continued to search for colleges, I knew that I needed a college that could provide the academic resources to satisfy my thirst for knowledge of biology. When an information session I attended enlightened me about Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences and their outstanding opportunities for research and study, I knew Northwestern would be my target school. I have planned to major in biology throughout my high school career, and as a result I have geared my class selection in high school towards that. Northwestern's top-notch academics would be an excellent follow-up to my work in high school, bringing me one step closer to a permanent career.

Ultimately, my goal in life is to go into the medical field, and I know very well that success along such a path starts with a great college. The Weinberg College is clearly geared towards preparation of its students for professional fields, including medicine, as evidenced by the copious resources for pre-professionals on the college's web site. The pre-medical brochure is especially helpful; it reads like an instructional guide to admission into medical school. Apparently, the staff at Northwestern, and especially Weinberg College, are earnestly dedicated to helping their students traverse the tremendous journey to a career in the medical field. That is precisely what I was looking for in a college, and I plan, no, I vow, to take advantage of every resource Northwestern has available in my quest towards the medical field.

As usual, I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions to improve my essay.
Thanks in advance!

Home / Undergraduate / "Location, knowledge of biology and medicine" - Why Northwestern?