Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'no longer felt like a foreigner' - a setback you have faced - UMich and Purdue

Beast53 5 / 6  
Describe a setback that you have faced. How did you resolve it? How did the outcome affect you? If something similar happened in the future, how would you react? (500 words)

Coming into the first day of fourth grade as a foreigner from the Philippines, I had no idea what to expect. Even though all the students and teachers were very friendly and accommodating, I had a difficult time assimilating into a new culture and society. Kids talked about things such as football and rap, while teachers referred to common American knowledge like Martin Luther King Jr. and Bill Clinton. I would only look at them as if I came from another planet.

School started to get boring because it was hard for me to socialize. Most of my days consisted of school, sleep, food, and video games. I felt like I should put myself out there more. Teachers suggested that I get involved in after school activities. I took their advice and showed up to basketball intramurals after school. Basketball is a big thing in the Philippines, and is the only sport that I had any knowledge on. I was happy with my decision, because I met a lot of new people, and I was able to talk to them about something we both understood.

When springtime came and basketball season came to an end, I decided to join an unfamiliar sport. I had a choice between softball and ultimate Frisbee, but chose softball in the end. The word "ultimate" in ultimate Frisbee sounded a little too intimidating, while softball sounded like a more laid back activity. This appeared to be true as I soon learned that all I had to do was hit the ball with a bat. I thought it would be a piece of cake at first, but I struggled to even swing the bat properly. Fortunately, the coach and the other players were nice enough to help me out. By the end of the season, I was able to hit the ball left and right.

By the end of the school year, not only did I make a lot of friends, but I learned a great deal about American culture. I developed a huge interest in sports and music, and I became accustomed with big names in pop culture.

Fifth grade flew by smoothly after overcoming this setback. I felt a lot more comfortable talking to students and teachers now that I no longer felt like a foreigner. My grades rose considerably, while I continued to join more after school activities.

I left elementary school ecstatic to work through a big setback as I did. If I encountered a similar setback in the future, I would face it with more confidence and poise, and work through it right away. Overcoming this setback is one of my biggest accomplishments, and only throughout this phase have I realized my true potential.

Word Count: 453

Home / Undergraduate / 'no longer felt like a foreigner' - a setback you have faced - UMich and Purdue