Im at a loss of words for an opening, any suggestions on where to begin? MSU APP

ejaydub 1 / -  
A Personal Statement: Please include a personal statement with your transcripts.Be sure to include your full name and address on the statement. Explain your reasons for seeking admission to Montclair State University, including what you believe are your academic strengths and interests. Be certain to explain any situations that may have had an impact, either positively or negatively, on your academic record. List significant activities in which you have participated, both in school and out of school.

Hey im so confused on how to start this statement, im assuming Hello my name is...
is not what they are looking for. Any suggestions? Do you think it would be acceptable to focus on a something that has affected my life which gives me good qualities to be accepted to MSU or should i just stick to the basics and skip the story?
Ngozi93 3 / 30  
My advice is to start with plot and feelings you had while being in some sort of academic program. Also mention how it somehow further your drive to do better in school. Also write about the things you've learned and gained while being in the program and how you'll be able to contriute those things to the univesity.
Oleh 5 / 33  
well, this really depends on the word limit.
If this is a short response, I would just get right into your strengths and interests, but if it is an essay, then it's a different story.

You could choose to either write a creative piece or a strictly resume type of writing.
I would choose a creative piece, but if writing is not one of your strong points then I would just answer the prompt with supporting details, like personal experiences.

Hope this helps!

Home / Undergraduate / Im at a loss of words for an opening, any suggestions on where to begin? MSU APP