"Love for art" - JHU short answer--art and culture

tensplyr4eva 7 / 13  
A Typical student at Johns Hopkins spends less than 15 hours each week in a classroom, leaving lots of time for volunteer opportunities, clubs and organizations, athletics, social events, and other on- and off-campus activities. Aside from the academic interests you've already expressed, in what activities do you plan to engage as an undergraduate at Johns Hopkins?

Two words, besides "math lover", come to mind when friends describe me: art fanatic. So among the places at JHU I will most frequently visit, the art museums will surely be high on my list. The Homewood Art Workshops are the perfect opportunity for me to expand upon my passion for painting and photography, while the Evergreen Museum will open my eyes to forms of art that are outside of my comfort zone, like costume design, architecture, and sculpture.

My love for art can be put to use in Art Brigade, a student-run organization at JHU that works with students at Tench Tilghman Elementary in an after school program four days a week. As an art instructor who values community service, I know that Art Brigade is a club in which I can inspire younger minds to view their surroundings with a creative and positive outlook, with myself being inspired by the imaginative and fresh perspectives of the children I'm working with.

Lastly, the opportunity to start my own club at JHU also gives me the chance to reach my hopes of closing the gap many Asian-Americans feel between their two cultures, especially as traditional Asian beliefs become less practiced in an ever-modernizing, American world. By creating a pen-pal system in which young adults in China can communicate with their Asian-American counterparts at JHU, I hope to help both cultures gain a stronger understanding of each other, and bridge the cultural gap that has been so predominant in my own childhood.

Ultimately, even if it's with just one letter, or just one painting, I aim to walk out of JHU's gates as more than just another student, but as someone who has done the most she can to instill inspiration in others.

thanks so much for your help in advance! if you have any tips on where i can shorten this (its about 50 words over 250), i'd really appreciate it. :)
DREAMGIRL 2 / 6  
Its a great essay. However u can add what u did previously in terms of arts like art competition or member of the art club in school... Otherwise its well-written and researched.

Home / Undergraduate / "Love for art" - JHU short answer--art and culture