"to do what you love" - Common App - What is really important for me.

Shadow93 9 / 40  
He was just sitting there; in that small stone courtyard, surrounded by trees, withered by time. It could have been nothing; just another old man. It was easy to turn, to leave, and to continue my little games. But I walked forward; forward to talk, and perhaps, to laugh together.

Then I saw him. Or rather, I saw beyond him. Closed eyes, wrinkled face, and a small, natural smile. Such simple features, yet such radiant happiness surrounded him.

"Why are you so happy?" I blurted out, all else forgotten.

"Be silent." He muttered.

Annoyed, I left.

It is only now in hindsight did I realize what a precious gift I have been given that day. Like all high school students, my life is filled with activities. I strive to complete projects, to win competitions, to be a good student, and to enter a respected university. It was all too easy to be caught up in the storm of information, deadline, and projects, everything that forced me to act. There were just so many things to do, every day, every time. Collapsing on my bed day after day after yet another meeting, I began to recall that faithful day, his joyful appearance and his simple advice, to be silent.

I realized I have never stopped to ask, is this what I really want? Will I be able to look back years later and congratulate myself on a job well done? I had to take a stand. I turned in my resignation as co-chairman of the ecology club and as deputy head of the School Fair, Prom committee, and Academic committee the very next day.

I have never looked back since then. I got time on my hands to do the simple small things of life, to sit and paint, to stand and jump, to stretch myself. I finally realized, in my blind pursuit of "success," I have missed out on what really mattered. I started with my family; I began to help my little sister with her school work and activities. I brought her to parks, to malls, and taught her how to build a trebuchet. I began to visit my grandparents more often, not to do anything, but to simply accompany them, to listen to their stories, and to show them that they still mattered. Grades and activities were no longer the end all, be all of my life; they were just what they were supposed to be, stepping stones in the pursuit of happiness. It wasn't an easy decision however, to abandon the fast route to success for the meandering detour of happiness. But while others saw it as me dropping out, I understood it as simply beginning a new race.

Sure, I might be a few steps behind in the dash to college, but I truly believe, on the marathon of life, I have come out way ahead. To know what you want, to do what you love, and to enjoy the little things, that is what life really is all about. And I am glad that I have realized it now. Perhaps when I grow old and wise, I would return once more to that little courtyard and sit under the sun, to do nothing but smile, to do nothing but wait, to do nothing but be happy.
I got time on my hands to do the simple small things of life, to sit and paint, to stand and jump, to stretch myself.

I like this a lot.

You get the Enlightened Essay Award. It is not really an award, just something in my head. I can't improve on this; it is already perfect. I am going to link all these contributors to it, not as a favor to you but as a favor to them. Thanks for the lesson.

essayforum.com/ef-contributor-page : EssayForum Contributor Page
freezard7734 17 / 209  
I began to recall that faithfulfateful day

I think that is what you meant :)

"his simple advice, to: be silent. "

to do nothing but wait

Wait for what? This part seems a little unclear...

I like how you end up at the beginning :) May I suggest one thing though? To close the essay into a complete circle, maybe you could end the essay with a scenario exactly like the beginning, imagining how you, in the future, are reminiscing your life as someone else much younger and naive comes to you and asks that same fateful question "Why are you so happy?"

Something like that :) In my opinion, that would make this much more powerful.

Oh! And one more suggestion. You keep the reader here lost at your interpretation of "be silent." As a typical reader, it keeps me thinking, which is a good thing. But as an AO reader, who is reading essay after essay, thinking about the essay's meaning may not be the best thing... I suggest that somewhere in the essay, you be a little more explicit about how you interpreted his advice of being silent. :) Very nice job though!

Home / Undergraduate / "to do what you love" - Common App - What is really important for me.