Love for cooking - something you do for the pleasure of it. MIT

sg2468 2 / 2 1  
Hi everyone! This is my essay for this MIT prompt, not sure if it is interesting enough. Please be harsh and comment on grammar and content!

We know you lead a busy life, full of activities, many of which are required of you. Tell us about something you do for the pleasure of it. (*)(100 words or fewer)

creating food with my own hands

It often seems that 'cooking' is synonymous with 'one chef', but in Ukrainian culture, food is a communal experience. On snowy winter nights after skiing, my family and friends gather to shape Вареники dumplings while sharing stories, filling everyone with warm food and a feeling of accomplishment. These memories of community and happiness are what fill me with pride and joy when I cook. Being able to use my hands to learn, mix, knead, and bake, then watch others feel comforted by what I create, makes me love cooking: although food disappears in minutes, the memories last for a lifetime.
Sasha, there is a part that is written in Ukrainian in your response. Please make sure to change that to American alphabet letters please. That's a technicality that could irritate the reviewer.

The response you wrote does talk of something that you do for the pleasure of it, but it seems limited to the memories of your family alone. Try to revise the response to include a reference to you and why you enjoy this activity.

You are describing the actual activity and what takes place as it happens. The essay is asking about why you enjoy doing this activity. So give the reader less description about the family time and more about your relationship with cooking. Basically, you should not be sharing a group activity in your response but rather a solitary activity that you do during your off time.

Something that relaxes you like maybe doing yoga, painting, or photography. Baking and gardening also come to mind. Activities that allow you relax and reflect are normally used as responses to this question.

These are normally activities that people do for the pleasure of it because they derive a sense of self fulfillment or a learning about their surroundings from it.

The pleasure derived from the activity stems from something that the person learns about himself and how the activity helps develop something in that person's outlook or personality that he likes about himself through the activity.

Home / Undergraduate / Love for cooking - something you do for the pleasure of it. MIT