"Love of the criminal mindset" / COMMON APP

lizzyventura 1 / 1  
Growing up I was always enticed by new environments. I still envision my life as a sophisticated lawyer who is always relied on by others. I maintained the same goals and ambitions from my childhood that I am striving to achieve no matter what obstacles I face. Although I have the same dreams I feel stuck at times between where dreams are conceived where dreams are realized.

Early on in my life I maintained the interest in the mindset of criminals and how laws intervene with the lifestyles of others. After that realization I yearned to become a criminal attorney. My family always tried to set goals for me and encouraged me that the sky is the limit. I try to maintain a positive outlook on life to strive to become nothing but the best.

In different times in my life, the question "Who Am I?" always had a different response. From an early age I always embraced success. I maintained the idea that I must be successful in order to fully seek it. I am the type of kid who is honestly afraid of failure. I realize it is necessary for personal growth and maturity, but at the same time it is scary. Once you have failed at a task in life it is hard to think of it as a positive thing. On many occasions I rethink past situations where I should have done this differently or if I had done that sooner, but at the same time it is a chance to learn from mistakes and measure your growth. What you did wrong in the past can help improve what you do correctly and differently in the future.

In high school I made up my mind that Spelman was the only college for me. Spelman represents everything I want to stand for. When I think of Spelman, I think of a legacy of diversity, prestige, and dedication. I remember my English teacher from eighth grade quoting Maya Angelou every day; "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside." Back then I didn't understand nor grasp the meaning of those powerful words. It never seemed to carry any literal sense to me. However, today, I am fully aware of the strengths in the quote. It is a strike at our unobtainable goals in life. We all want to be known and understood.
Didgeridoo - / 306 191  
Very clear and straight-forward style, but try and connect your ending to what you wrote about your interest in the criminal mindset. Don't be afraid to get a little more detailed too. How interested are you in law and crime? Do you watch TV shows about them, read books, do related activities in high school? How did your passion grow, what have you learned, how do you want to "be known" through your career, and what values (a sense of justice, determination, etc.) have you gained?

Good job, and good luck!
OP lizzyventura 1 / 1  
thanks a lot... i revised it a little; you've helped a whole lot...

Home / Undergraduate / "Love of the criminal mindset" / COMMON APP