I love to devote myself to the adventure... Columbia College Why School Essay

Bighall 3 / 18 1  
I love to devote myself to the adventure that transcends the ink on those yellowed pages, shuttling from the train that carries Malcolm X to the dismal estate in England of the 19th Century. I tested cases in my daily life according to Categorical Imperative as often as I meditate on a profound line in The Republic. Both Kant's and Plato's words give me delightful mental challenges as well as enlightenment. I enjoy the journey and inspirations of exploring the realm and ideas beyond space and time.

That's why I found the rigorous Core Curriculum most intriguing. The unique experience gives me a "big picture" of the work and philosophies of those brilliant minds. Furthermore, I could quickly generate new perspective, discussing Virgil, Dante, Keynes and Virginia Woolf with students from totally different backgrounds and majors probably once in my lifetime.

Moreover The World Leaders Forum and the tradition of political activism in the most diverse campus could let me stand in the frontier of this constantly changing society rather than in the ivory tower. In Columbia, virtually facing and listening to the icons I admire such as Aung San Suu Kyi, joining all kinds of debates, intellectual discussions, and surrounded by the most dynamic metropolitan, I would inevitable perceive the pulses of this world at any time.

Thus, I'm craving to become a Columbian who possesses the unrivaled outlook to become an academically competitive individual as well as a visionary.

Would it be better if I replace paragraph 3 with some aspects like fitness of NYC and sociology which is my major ?
wolverineboy 2 / 3 2  
i think this essay is on point. However it would help for you to add a bit about the majors to make it more "there" when it is being read. kudos!
saubau95 3 / 3 1  
This is a good start but it seems kindof obvious that you are name dropping. Be more general about your academic interests and how they relate to Columbia.
OP Bighall 3 / 18 1  
Here is the replacement for the last two paragraphs, I talk about my academic interests so I think it would be better.

I am addicted to sociology and Columbia has a very prestigious sociology department. I am especially eager to take W3933 Art and Social Movements due to that I am currently engage in the research of political rap's relationship with the social changes. In terms of research and data collection, Columbia's intimacy of New York City would benefit me greatly by letting me directly survey the music scene in the metropolitan.

Thus, I'm craving to become a Columbian who possesses the unrivaled outlook to become an academically excellent and well-rounded individual.
bigchau 5 / 16 1  
Agree with saubau, excessive name inclusion would be unwise. try to be less whimsical with your statements "enjoy ideas beyond space and time?" reading that i see a concept but not a concrete statement of what you're really into. otherwise, appropriate inclusion of columbia's extracurriculars. one advice i always give is to be practical and not the ass-kissing type, im sure the admissions office have learned to selectively blockade the brochure-esque personal statements that sing columbia praises. other wise, you're on the right track.

PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY NYU/COLUMBIA PROMPT
aarkebauer 5 / 14  
Furthermore, I could quickly generate new perspective, discussing Virgil, Dante, Keynes and Virginia Woolf with students from totally different backgrounds and majors probably once in my lifetime.

I would change this to Furthermore, I would be given a once in a lifetime opportunity to generate a new perspective, discussing Virgil, Dante, Keynes and Virginia Woolf with students from totally different backgrounds and majors from my own.

And also, you might want to take "totally" out of this or replace it with a synonym.

Just something small, but I don't think anyone else mentioned it.
OP Bighall 3 / 18 1  
Thanks for all of the suggestions !
Now no more procrastination, I gotta get the essay done.

Home / Undergraduate / I love to devote myself to the adventure... Columbia College Why School Essay