I love music and sports; A High-Tech Forte - U of I essay

Beast53 5 / 6  
In an essay of 300 words or less, write about how your personal or academic interests relate to your intellectual or professional goals.

A High-Tech Forte

If my friends or relatives were asked to describe my interests and hobbies, most of them would say that I love music and sports. That's probably what most people would perceive from me. However, one thing that not many people know about me is that I love building and repairing computers. Ever since I learned how to build my own computer back in eighth grade, I've since then grown interest in computers. I've never taken a computer class of any kind, but the internet taught me everything I know about computers. As my computer knowledge grew, I became my household's computer tech, and everyone would always come to me for computer assistance.

Now as I think about what I want to do with my life, I have decided that I wanted computers to be a part of it. While I'm aiming for a career as an IT, the opportunities with computers are endless. Since technology advances everyday, our society's dependence on computers grows everyday, and it's foolish to think that the future of our nation alone will not live alongside computer technology. Even after college, I'll be learning about new technology every day, but at the same time be helping other people.

Whether it's playing games, editing movies, or surfing the net; computers are a big part of my hobbies. Consequently, I will be able to wake up every morning knowing that I will have a solid day ahead of me. I really feel like this is the field I belong in. Despite the fact that it's something I have been able to naturally develop, studying computers in college will definitely broaden my horizons.

Thanks in advance!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good morning.

I only have one suggestion:

"Ever since I learned how to build my own computer back in eighth grade, I've since then grown an interest in computers."

Nice work. A good response to the prompt.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Beast53 5 / 6  
thank you very much! i just have one question. you said in my other thread to avoid contractions. is it better to change "I've" to "I have," or would leaving it be fine? thanks again!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I suggest changing it to "I have."
OP Beast53 5 / 6  
One more question...

do you think that this essay can also answer the following personal statement (purdue)?

Describe how your college education will allow you to achieve personal or professional goals.

thanks
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
I think it would be a good start. You might want to go into why the experiences you will receive while in college will further your goals a little more in-depth, but I think it will work just fine.
OP Beast53 5 / 6  
since the purdue word limit is 500, i should be able to discuss that without having to cut any part of this essay.

thanks
OP Beast53 5 / 6  
how about this prompt?

Please describe your interests and aspirations in engineering. What experiences have influenced you?

thanks again!
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Again, with some fine tuning in regards to the specifics of this prompt, this piece would be a good foundation.

Home / Undergraduate / I love music and sports; A High-Tech Forte - U of I essay