"My love for physics began early" - Yale Supplement

ivanpalkov 1 / 2  
I love physics. Physics not only answers my insatiable thirst to know everything about the world around me but it also gives me some superpowers. My love for physics began before I even knew what physics was. As far back as I can remember I have questioned how the world works and why it works in a certain way. I would ask myself: why is the sky blue, how can birds fly, and why are some days shorter than others? I put those questions aside until my junior year of high school when I entered a physics class. I had been taught to believe that physics would be a horrible subject that I had to struggle through, but it turned out to be the beginning of an infatuation. All of the questions that I had asked and had not been able to answer arose again, as well as new ones. It is an amazing feeling to be able to look around your world and know why things happened. To know how sounds are formed, where things will fall, even how a magician does his trick, all mysteries are revealed through physics. Physics has not only answered my questions, but also proposed new ones that challenge not only my views, but my imagination as a whole. I remember the first time I was explained the theory of relativity, and the moment I heard about the string theory. For days it was all I could think and talk about. I have discussions with my friends over it and watch videos on YouTube about it. Now I walk into AP Physics enthusiastically everyday not knowing what it will hold and what other mysterious it will reveal.

The magic of physics isn't constrained to only explaining why things happen, but more intriguingly what's going to happen. Physics is the only way to tell the future, besides what Nostradamus and phone psychics might lead people to believe. For example, if you were to jump off a skyscraper, given the proper information a physicist would be able to tell you when and how fast you would hit the ground, before you even jumped. Therefore, the first superpower that physics has instilled in me is the ability to tell the future. Physics also enables me to see things that are invisible to regular humans. For instance there is no doubt that black holes are invisible. Yet through the laws of physics any physicist will tell you not only that they exist but their precise location, given enough information that is. Now a physicist obviously can't see a black hole, but they know how matter behaves around it, and by looking for that, they spot black holes.

I plan to discover even more powers at Yale's physics program. I hope to enroll in a class taught by Yale's Professor Ramamurti Shankar, and actually sit down in the lecture hall, instead of watching him from my computer thousands of miles away. More importantly I would love to be able to discover these powers on my own, as 95% of science undergraduate students do research with Yale faculty. Yale will give me the opportunity and resources to become a full-fledged physics superhero.
Gracious10 3 / 23  
I love the concept of superpowers of knowledge but i don't understand your organization. I think you title it the magic of the question why? (btw try to edit my yale engineering supplement)
em2always 15 / 79  
dont use your topic sentence start by saying "I love physics" its straight up, direct, bold,good
Metrol 2 / 11  
I have discussions with my friends over it watch videos on YouTube about it. --> had discussions. and watched videos.

I think it will be great if you could express you passion rather than pointing out facts about physics. Like in what ways did you engage in physics other than classes. ( you said you watched youtube with you friend about it) Anything more concrete to add?

How about expressing your enthusiasm about your future contribution to physics world like, I want to belong to aerospace club in yale that collaborate with NASA.

Good luck and hope you could look over my essays too.
OP ivanpalkov 1 / 2  
Thank you very much for the help, I feel the essay is getting stronger.
I have taken the suggestions into account,so here is a revised copy (any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated):
One thing I haven't had a chance to talk about yet in my application is my love for physics. Although my passion cannot be written out in its entirety given the 500 word constraint, I will do my best to summarize my main reasons for enjoying...
brittw 1 / 21  
I had been taught to believe that physics would be a horrible subject that I had to struggle through, but it turned out to be the beginning of an infatuation. All of the questions that I had asked and had not been able to answer arose again, as well as new ones.

I have discussions with my friends over it and watch videos on YouTube about it. Now I walk in to one word? into?

Its definitely getting stronger :) I agree with a previous comment that the first sentence should be "I love physics" or something
OP ivanpalkov 1 / 2  
I submitted the application, it is now all up to the college admission gods. Thank you very much to everyone who helped, your advice has been amazing.

Home / Undergraduate / "My love for physics began early" - Yale Supplement