Why I Love Physics- Common App Essay

raslacrosse 5 / 5  
This is my main Common App essay. I don't really like it, but I don't know what to do. The prompt was topic of choice.

The little white ping pong ball gained speed as it raced down the ruler smashing into the clear plastic cup at the bottom, displacing it a couple of inches. My stubby hands reached for the plastic yellow ruler to measure the distance the collision had caused the cup to move. I still vividly remember taking the fourth grade science test, even then I knew that I liked science and was good at it.

I set down the meter stick, meticulously checking and rechecking to make sure that I had measured correctly; this was all or nothing. I set the target down at the point where I had calculated the trajectory of the marble would send it. The marble careened down the slope soaring as it hit the end of the jump. For a moment it stopped, suspended in mid-air, and then continued on its journey straight into the bull's-eye. That was a lab in tenth grade physics class, where we used the conservation of energy principles to calculate the sphere's horizontal velocity and ultimately its range.

Taking honors physics in tenth grade is what first piqued my interest in the subject and ever since then I've been in love. I feel a passion for physics, which I don't experience for other things. There's so much I love about physics.

I love that physics is practical. It helps explain why the lacrosse ball stays in my stick when I cradle. It shows why the occurrences in the world around me happen. Even though it's practical, the concepts aren't always intuitive. Physics requires that you look at the world through a different lens; you can't just figure out the theories with common sense. When I was a kid, I loved logic problems; I loved the challenge of taking all the little disjointed pieces and fashioning them into a single harmonious picture. It's the same with physics. Physics offers me a way to connect all of the seemingly disjointed pieces. Physics is about making things simpler and breaking everything down into their fundamental pieces. It's about patterns, equations, and connections.

It never ceases to amaze me. Whenever I think, I've come to achieve a basic understanding of the world around me, my Eden is shattered. I can see how some might find this frustrating, but I love it; it reminds me that the world will never run out of challenges for me to solve.
Hilianas94 - / 6  
I loved your essay but remember colleges are looking for an essay that reflects who you are, why you want to go to college, and what you have to bring to the table. Write an essay about a life experience, write about something that has impacted your life. Make colleges see that you are needed at their college. You and I are in the same boat so I know what it feels like to feel a writers block. Take a walk out side or look at old memories taken by your parents when you were a young child. Become inspired.

Home / Undergraduate / Why I Love Physics- Common App Essay