'love of reading' - U.Penn supplement

cherrybomb94 20 / 44  
the question is 'introduce yourself to Penn' and the limit is approx. 150 words. Here it is:

To me, nothing beats spending a lazy Sunday morning reading a great book. Reading is a hobby I cultivated way back in elementary school, and it's been one of my primary sources of pleasure since then. The magical thing about books is that not only are they wholly entertaining, they help me develop new angles on life. When I am truly impacted by a work of literature, my mind opens and I begin to see life from all sorts of new perspectives. Reading The Joy Luck Club made me more aware of the rifts between my mother and me and caused me to ponder my cultural identity. Jane Addams: Spirit in Action helped instill in me a dedication to compassionate living and opened my eyes to social injustices. These books and several others have caused me to experience paradigm shifts where I re-evaluated my worldview and became more attuned to who I really am. I can't think of any other hobby that has been so good for me.

Does it flow nicely? Any criticisms?
sashnv 2 / 2  
It has got a nice flow and everything but, if you have to introduce yourself, aren't you supposed to show more aspects of you?

Or just reading?
SueHeck 2 / 10  
I rather like it, I went a different way, "I am a scholarship student at a small catholic high school" thing. But it shows something extra that is not on the common app-so in this respect, I say 'go for it.'
p12ehoffman 3 / 7  
I think the content is very good, and that your response flows nicely as a whole. The only recommendation I have is to read it through a few more times and work to improve your flow by individual sentence. For example, your second sentence would better read as the following:

"Reading is a hobby I cultivated way back in elementary school, and has since been one of my primary sources of pleasure."

Again, just very picky things like this. Overall, though, I think it's great. Best of luck in applying!

Home / Undergraduate / 'love of reading' - U.Penn supplement