'Love for sciences and environmental studies' - Johns Hopkins Essay

atomvik 3 / 14  
2. Write a brief essay in which you respond to the following question.
(freshman applicants only): Johns Hopkins offers 49 majors across the schools of Arts and Sciences and Engineering. on this supplement, we ask you to identify one or two that you might like to pursue here. Why did you choose the way you did? If you are undecided, why didn't you choose? (If any past courses or academic experiences influenced your decision, you may include them in your essay.)

An individual is characterized not only by what he does in the light, but by what he does in the dark. Even though I cannot perform a gel electrophoresis in the dark, I still love science in its entirety. My name is Bhavik Gupta and I believe humor can lighten up any situation. My goal is to become a well rounded individual and since the start, I have admired scientists, comedians, and individuals who defy expectations. Through my experiences, I have come to revere science not only for its widespread scope and astounding ability to answer my questions, but also for its intriguing nature and ability to solve the growing problems perplexing the world.

My interest in pursuing a major in Biology at Johns Hopkins University is characterized by an infatuation for the subject's versatility and for its broad applicability to all the major fields in science today. After taking the most rigorous science courses my school has to offer, I have realized that there is so much more to learn and discover in the realm of science. Through a major in Biology, I want to enter this realm and be able to choose the path I want to take. This ability to choose whatever path I want to take is what amazes me most about Biology and is the reason why I chose this intended major.

In addition to my love for the sciences, I also possess a strong connection to environmental studies and the growing concerns of global warming and sustainable energy. This involvement in the environment has pushed me further into the sphere of science because only through further knowledge can the environment be saved. Call me a tree-hugger, but from one of my two intended majors, I aspire to learn about the biological processes which, when interrupted, cause our environment harm and the solutions that science has to offer. Through further research and experimentation in the field of Biology and Environmental Sciences, I aim to apply my knowledge of science in tandem with my passion for the environment and acclimation to modern technology to immerse myself in an experience which will undoubtedly give me the impetus to strike a change in the world.

My aspirations do not simply exist in the future, they exist now, and since now they exist, now is the time to pursue them. My affinity for science coupled with my passion for the environmental problems and biological problems attacking modern society is all I have to offer, and the opportunity to study at Johns Hopkins University will kick off the pursuit of my aspirations. As idealistic as it sounds, I hope to someday perfect the water purification process to deliver much needed water to the impoverished in Africa, or succeed in implementing biotechnology and nanotechnology in hopes of securing the future of not only myself, but the rest of the Earth as well.
Awesome, I like you already! I' sure the admissions person will, too. The first paragraph is especially cool. Here is a part that is not quite right:

Through a major in Biology, I want to enter this realm and be able to choose the path I want to take.

In order to fix that, make it more specific. Even if you are not sure what you will use the bio major for, assert to them that you intend to use it as a stepping stone toward a few other specific possible careers (Medicine? Research?).

This ability to choose whatever path I want to take is what draws me to major in biology, the subject that opens doors to opportunity in all my areas of interest...

God luck, From reading your ideas, I think you have a promising future!
OP atomvik 3 / 14  
Thank you so much Kevin :]

Home / Undergraduate / 'Love for sciences and environmental studies' - Johns Hopkins Essay