My love for writing - UC prompt 2

bnf1992 1 / 1  
I would appreciate criticism on this one! Please and thank you in advance! Also, let me know if there is anything else I can add to this, I have about 200 words I can add. Thanks so much

Tell us about a personal quality, talent, accomplishment, contribution or experience that is important to you. What about this quality or accomplishment makes you proud and how does it relate to the person you are?

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved writing. My mother would spend endless hours watching me scribble away on 99-cent notebooks with stories of "Eggbert and Friends" and one of my personal favorites, "Pink Everything!" I even recall one time telling my mother that my ultimate goal was to get one of my current books published. Reading my old stories, I realized how impossible that would have been. My stories were horrible! They lacked a plot, were grammatically incorrect, and all those things that teachers scold us about. In that time, I even used to disregard the critique that my teachers would offer. I had loved writing so much I never realized how atrocious I was at it. Prior to the realization of my own arrogance (I need a new word for this, arrogance is too strong, any suggestions?) , my mother noticed my apparent fondness for writing (and probably thought I could improve) so she enrolled me in summer courses that focused on writing. As I wrote more and more, I started listening to the advice of my professors and gradually my writing improved. I improved so much that even my essay grades thanked me.

After witnessing the determination it took to improving, I am proud of the result - decent writing abilities. Although I might not be the next Ayn Rand, my love and improvement in writing has helped me recognize that the things I love doing most could carry me far in life. Because I have seen how much determination and time it takes to improve in something, I listen carefully to the critique of my fellow peers and mentors. Taking the time to advance in something I enjoyed, especially when I needed improving, allowed me to use this patience and newfound talent for my future. This relates to the person I am because I view myself one who strives to feel satisfied with the work I have produced. I am proud to say I still write stories, ones of mystery and fiction, only this time, with a recognizable plot and grammatically correct sentences.
cmcd 3 / 11  
I think you have a great essay although adding a little bit more information on how writing makes you feel accomplished wouldn't hurt. Here are just some ideas:

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved writing. My mother would watch me spend endless hours scribbling away on 99-cent notebooks with stories of "Eggbert and Friends" and "Pink Everything!" I recall telling my mother that my ultimate goal was to get one of my current books published. Reading my old stories, however, I realized how impossible that would have been. My stories were horrible! They lacked a plot, were grammatically incorrect, and included all the things that teachers would scold us about. Back then, I even used to disregard the critique that my teachers would offer. I had loved writing so much I never realized how atrocious I was at it. Prior to the realization of my own arrogance (Audacity or impudence maybe? I'm sure there's a better word that I cant think of) , my mother noticed my apparent fondness for writing, and believed that I could improve, so she enrolled me in summer courses that focused on writing. The more I wrote, the more I listened to my professors and took their advice. Gradually, my writing had improved enough that my grades even thanked me.

After finding the determination that it took to improve, I was proud of the end result - decent writing abilities. Although I might not be the next Ayn Rand, my improvements in writing and my passion for it have helped me recognize that the things I love doing most can carry me the farthest in life. After seeing how much determination and time it takes to improve, I listen carefully to the critique of my fellow peers and mentors. Taking the time to advance in something I enjoy, especially when needing improvement, allows me to use my new-found talent for my future. I view myself as someone who strives to feel satisfied with my work. I am proud to say that I still write stories, ones of mystery and fiction, only this time, with a recognizable plot and grammatically correct sentences.

After looking back at some of my corrections, I fear I may have edited too much information. Please take a look at any of the suggestions made and feel free to add any changes that you feel fit. If you do have the time, however, I think adding a little bit more about how writing makes you feel accomplished would be helpful.
OP bnf1992 1 / 1  
Alright, great! Thank you so much for taking the time to correct my essay :)
cmcd 3 / 11  
No Problem :)

Home / Undergraduate / My love for writing - UC prompt 2