Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'My lovely grandma is now eighty-four' - influential person

yungtszwing 3 / 5  
I remember the two striking images from the afternoon I left my country last year. The first image is my grandmother crying as I left my house, with the tears of mine. The second image is my grandma giving me the ancient harmonica that she had owned for ages. She is like a role model and teacher to me. Although she is not the most successful person in making money, she is the most important people who taught me and raised me to become a good person - taking responsibilities, having self discipline and persistence.

When I was a child, I have no concentration and focus at all. I tried to learn different music instruments, but I failed every time because I cannot sit there and be tranquil for the whole lesson. I stayed like that for almost a year, and my grandma changed my attitude in one night. I woke up at early morning, and I heard that there was a pleasant sound of the harmonica. That was the first time I heard that from my grandma, she plays the harmonica like an angel singing. I began to love harmonica on that day and spent all my free time to learn from grandma and this is the instrument I learn persistently. After my grandma spent so much time to teach me, I realized persistence is the only way to be successful and by that time I always try my best in persisting on things I have to do. I keep the harmonica she gave me as a promise I made to her that I should persist on everything I do.

After I had strived for the persistence in myself, the next problem was my responsibilities. I was the middle child, so every time I did something wrong, I shirked the responsibility to my younger sister and blamed her. However, one day someone broke the vase on the balcony, and I knew my sister did it in an accident. When my grandma went home and saw this, she was infuriated and not listening the truth. My grandma told me "Do to others as you would have them do to you." That's the time I realized blaming the innocents is timid and not proper, and I have to be responsible to gain trust from others in order to have a wonderful personality.

It's impossible for an indocile child like me to strive for self-discipline. I learnt to do housework from my grandma and also learnt time management. These two skills are the path to self-discipline. I did housework with her and played with her, and from following her daily routine, I have fixed my problem of playing games for a long time. I controlled myself from the desire to play and managed my time usefully.

My lovely grandma is now eighty-four years old, and she is still my role model. I aspire to be like her because she influenced me a lot in a positive way and she taught me to be a good person without regretting. It's not only persistence, responsibility and self-discipline, there are much more my grandma has influenced me. I would never forget the morals she taught me and be a good person.

THANKYOU! i appreciate your efforts :D

Home / Undergraduate / 'My lovely grandma is now eighty-four' - influential person