Lover of Electronics/Age of Empires ; Common App

sekusmore 1 / -  
Please be harsh and as strict as possible.

I was able to bloom into the electronic lover I am today only through curiosity. Whenever there was a problem with the VHS, a cleaning cassette would be slipped into the VCR. Then, suddenly, almost magically, everything became perfect.

I was baffled about how that exactly worked. But then, I saw that the cleaning cassette cleaner which had a little slot in it containing clear liquid and it made me conclude that it was water in it since that was the only clear liquid I knew, at a young age. Feeling experimental, I proudly filled this slot with water when it went empty hoping to be the redeemer of the VHS should the tape becomes unclear while we watched a movie. This noble act spelt both the doom of me and the VCR - I ruined the VCR and any chance of me watching my favourite videos.

Considering I am the last born of a rather typical family, I found refuge under the shadow of my brother and not my sister as was expected of me, being a girl who quickly redeemed me from any problems with my parents. I remember fondly spending a large proportion of my time in the game room happily delving into the universe of Age of Empires II with my brother.

I was truly spellbound when I found that I could chat using the computer with my brother's friend who used another computer. I was always happy to see my brother go out of the room giving me the chance to communicate with his friend who I was awfully shy of, without talking directly with him.

This means of communication we shared I now understand is known as a network made possible by an Ethernet.
Being close to my brother, I was exceptionally sad when he had to go college. It was not just the loss of a brother to further his education but spelt a time in my life where I had no friend, or playmate. I was frightening I would become a recluse. Little did I know that it was my time to shine and explore without boundaries, the computer he almost always kept to himself.

I seriously wanted to grab the concept of playing this game they were so much in love with that I frantically scavenged through a maze of folders to get to this game. Even though I did not know the basic rules of the game, it did not deter me - the Internet, along with the help of painfully slow dial-up services lit the way / was my guide the basic rules. Through perseverance, game after confused game, I was able to grab the concept and strategically crush my virtual enemies.

This game made me develop my love for electronic devices. I discovered various sections of the computer which I enthusiastically shared with my family any time I got the chance. Whenever my inquisitive poking and prodding caused yet another issue with the computer, I never told my father for the fear of being reprimanded. Usually, I resorted to the almost childlike method of trial and error to resolve the errors. I even when to the extent of prying open the computer and shuffling around its electrical intestines and in so doing exploring the different parts of the computer and knowing more about it.

This passion which I have grown up with has influenced me to take up the course in Information
Technology in a Global Society in High School and also be the first person many friends come to any time there is a problem with their computers as I am the only girl in the hostel who shows such great craze for computers.

Playing Age of Empires this game often made me realise that not only was I defeating my enemies but breaking this barrier of being a recluse. Soon enough I was able to passionately talk to my peers of my love and expertise at this game and that not only did I gain female friends but was more than comfortable with male friends as I shared the special bond I always had with my brother.
pinacolada762 1 / 2  
the first sentence is a bit awkward. the first part of your essay when talking about technology although its good you sound like you know what your talking about it loses the attention of the reader. make sure you reveal to the admissions people about you, your story kind of takes away from why they would want you as a student at their school.

Home / Undergraduate / Lover of Electronics/Age of Empires ; Common App