Luck in Chemistry - University of Chicago optional supplement

z4evafoolz 7 / 31  
Prompt: Would you please tell us about a few of your favorite books, poems, authors, films, plays, pieces of music, musicians, performers, paintings, artists, magazines, or newspapers? Feel free to touch on one, some, or all of the categories listed, or add a category of your own (quote).

I never believed in luck, it didn't exist in my dictionary. If I faced disappointment, it was never because I was unlucky, and if I achieved top results in something, it was always my skills that did the job. Maybe I didn't believe in luck because every time I completed something successfully, my parents would always say, "you're a lucky man", or "luck saved you, my little boy." Before I entered the world of IB in grade 11, I came across a quote, which became my motto not long after, from the movie The Little Black Book: "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Fascinated, I did some internet surfing based on the quote and discovered that the quote was originally from the philosopher Seneca.

I still wasn't convinced that luck existed, and so I put this doubtful concept to test. Chemistry was a tough subject for me in grade 11; there were so many aspects to learn and so little came up in the periodical tests. Trusting luck, I prepared only a handful amount of coursework and set the test next day. Result was horrible: 60% and a C in my report. I was 'unlucky' (according to the quote), because my meager preparation didn't meet the opportunity to express the chemical knowledge. That moment was when I changed; something talked from nowhere and told my brain to do everything. For the mid-year exam, I prepared everything. It seemed like I memorized the textbook inside out, and I literally have. The exam wasn't too hard after all: 85% and an A in my report. I was 'lucky': an opportunity was given to demonstrate my preparation. The valuable lesson I learnt from this is that, if you're prepared for anything, you're 90% on your way to getting lucky. Remember, according to my favorite quote, luck is when preparation meets opportunity. University of Chicago will give me the opportunity to enrich my academic knowledge and pursue my social interests, and I will give the university my preparation built for the past 17 years in return.

Essay length is 2 paragraphs :).
Any feedback would be nice, positive or negative.
mpoper - / 10  
I never believed in luck, it didn't exist in my dictionary. If I faced disappointment, it was never because I was unlucky, and if I achieved top results in something, it was always my skills that did the job. Maybe I didn't believe in luck because every time I completed something successfully, my parents would always say, "you're a lucky man", or "luck saved you, my little boy."

Before I entered the world of IB in grade 11, I came across a quote, which became my motto not long after, from the movie The Little Black Book: "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." Fascinated, I did some internet surfing based on the quote and discovered that the quote was originally from the philosopher Seneca.

First - clarify what is IB?
Before I entered the world of IB in grade 11, I came across a quote which became my motto not long after. The quote, "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity" is attributed to the philospher Seneca.

I still wasn'twas not convinced that luck existed, and so I put this doubtful concept to test. Chemistry was a tough subject for me in grade 11; there were so many aspects to learn and so little came up in the periodical tests.

Trusting luck, I prepared only a handful amount of coursework and set the test next day.

This is confusing because you say in the beginning that you never believed in luck. Now you say you're trusting luck?

The result was horrible: 60% and a C in my report. I was 'unlucky' (according to the quote), because my meager preparation didn'tdid not meet the opportunity to express the chemical knowledge. That moment was when I changed; something talked from nowhere and told my brain to do everything. For the mid-year exam, I prepared everything. It seemed like I memorized the textbook inside out, and I literally have . Because of my dedication, the exam wasn'twas not too hard after all: 85% and an A in my report. I was 'lucky': an opportunity was given to demonstrate my preparation. The valuable lesson I learntlearned from this is that, if you're prepared for anything, you're 90% on your way to getting lucky. Remember, according to my favorite quote, luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

If the University of Chicago will give me the opportunity to enrich my academic knowledge and pursue my social interests, and I will give the university my preparation built for the past 17 years in return.

I think what you want to say here is not that you will bring with you 17 years of preparation, but that you will commit to the necessary preparation for success at the school.

Good luck!
dingpx - / 11  
Hey, good essay and good development, but I think the prompt is asking you to touch a category.
I think this essay is asking you to list something.
OP z4evafoolz 7 / 31  
Thanks for your feedback.

dingpx, what do you mean? this essay is asking you to tell them about your favourite... anything I believe.

Nice point Meghan, appreciated (your last two lines especially :))

Home / Undergraduate / Luck in Chemistry - University of Chicago optional supplement