Macaron Process for Common App Essay 2015 Prompt 1?

zson0123 1 / -  
Prompt 1: Some students have a background, identity, interest, or talent that is so meaningful they believe their application would be incomplete without it. If this sounds like you, then please share your story.

As I woke up from my long rest, I headed to the kitchen well prepared. I have been longing to make macarons and I finally decided to try it out. Yesterday, while browsing the internet, I realized that making macarons is very hard. I have seen many who succeeded but also many who failed. But, undaunted, I decided to give it a shot. I assembled all the things I needed from the kitchen utensils to the raw ingredients.

Starting with the sifting of the almond flour and sugar powder, I felt that the whole process would be tedious. A lot of patience is required while doing this. As I continue on creating this complex treat, I begin to feel like it is similar to myself. Complex, needing care, and even needing patience. Continuing on, I separated the egg whites from the whole eggs. A process that requires precision because this procedure can decide whether or not the whole thing has to be restarted. I carefully detached the egg whites from the whole egg. During this time, I began to think of myself: a boy struggling hard to be set apart from others, constantly attempting to be the one who stands out the most. Although knowing that it does need a lot of work, I continue to pursue that purpose.

Completing the separation, I began to whisk it after putting sugar in it. Combining and blending just as I do with my culture. Through the vigorous process, it is halfway done. Next, I focus on incorporating the egg white mixture along with the dry ingredients. This is the most critical process of the whole creation. In order to successfully make the macaron, I put every nerve into perfecting this process. I fold the batter until it resembles the consistency of molten lava. It can be seen as a deciding factor of success or failure. This process is parallel to the decisions I make in my life. Whether or not I choose the right one, it would lead me to an outcome: good or bad.

Finally, a time to find out if all the work I have done paid off. Piping the batter into a baking tray, I carefully make the macaron shells identical. Precision is required in order to create the macarons that are highly praised among others. In the oven, I watch over it to see how it goes. I have put all of my effort to make a flat liquid mixture into a plump, solid object. Out of the oven comes out the product of all my hard work: a macaron shell.

I know that this essay is really incomplete and that it does not relate to the prompt as well. Can I have some tips for writing this type of essay? Thanks!
kerry2654 13 / 37 12  
Do you enjoy baking macarons for a specific reason? Do you want to become a baker? If not, I don't think the topic matches the prompt well but it's your essay. You mention blending your culture, how so? You should explore that more for your essay.
Zachary, I agree with Kerry's opinion regarding your essay. It does not comply with the prompt requirements. Your macaron essay does not really perform any service when it comes to introducing you to the reviewer. This sounds more like an essay that would be be better used in a creative writing class. It does not work as a common app essay response.

You should opt to write an essay, based on the choices provided that you feel would best represent your background, identity, interest, or talent with the reviewer. Use the essay as an opportunity to discuss something about yourself that would not have come up in the normal course of your responding to the common app prompts. Try to pick a topic that will highlight an interesting aspect of your personality. If you have an experience or trait that you feel won't be able to stand out in the other essays, then find a way to discuss it here. That is what this prompt is for. It is open to any topic that you want to discuss, provided it falls under one of the 3 choices.

If you want to discuss something about baking, then make sure that there is something about the process that directly relates to you as a learning experience. Are you planning to apply to culinary school? In which case, this topic is quite relevant. You just need to find a way to make it more interesting. Perhaps by depicting it as the first time you tried to bake and got hooked by the pastry world in the process. Otherwise, consider your other options for a topic :-)
Zachery, what you have written is your eagerness to try what people look at as a very daunting task to do, but question is this what the prompt is asking or this is your essay on proving that you can do something that people struggle to succeed.

Well, I must say I feel like I'm reading a cooking preparation, only in very detailed process, step by step that what they call it, this process is coupled with your writer base words that adds color to what seemed like a cooking technique for Macaroons.

As much as I enjoyed reading the essay, you cannot ignore the fact that this essay does not suffice the prompt.
The prompt is asking for an in - depth recollection of anything that you do, lets say cooking or baking, how does this hobby make your life meaningful or give a smile in your face and will this be good enough to talk about or to mention in your application essay, will this be able amp up your application, this are the questions you need to answer so that the essay will be accepted as an answer to the prompt and of course, remember that this is part of your application and all other prompts is looked at and screened by the admissions staff, never leave a reason for them not to grant you the admission, so revise the essay and make it work. Post it here on EF so we can assist you further.

Home / Undergraduate / Macaron Process for Common App Essay 2015 Prompt 1?