"want to major in Engineering" Which department at MIT appeals to you and why ?

Planet_14 4 / 11  
Please leave your critics and grammar edition!

Although you may not yet know what you want to major in, which department or program at MIT appeals to you and why? (*) (100 words or fewer)

Have you ever imagined that a 131 x 80 pixels black & white monitor can give out such a beautiful picture? About two years ago, I bought myself a graphing calculator for my birthday present. I vividly remember that I was spending my entire night putting equations into the calculator and see how their shapes like. Ever since then, I've started to draw pictures by putting whole bunch of equations into the calculator. Therefore, I want to major in Engineering where I can learn more about all these graphs and learn how to use them in a proper way.
etaang 4 / 40  
Looks pretty good, although there are a few bouts of awkward syntax.

The last sentence of your response seems try and take the essay in too sharp of a turn.
OP Planet_14 4 / 11  
I did realize that too, but I really don't know how should I fix it. Plus, I'm kind of worry about the word limit as well - right now it's already at 99 words out of 100 words.

I would be more than appreciate, if anyone could help me on this.
By the way, Eric Thank you very much! :]
Vbalandina 2 / 17  
I agree with others, you have to relate the MIT department to your passion for graphs. Maybe they offer something related to graphs or smth.))
OP Planet_14 4 / 11  
Have you ever imagined of a 131 x 80 pixels black & white monitor showing such a beautiful picture? About two years ago, I bought myself a graphing calculator for my birthday present. I vividly remember of how I spent my entire night putting equations into the calculator and looking at the produced shapes. I wish I could learn more about these graphs. So, I think that Engineering would be the place where I can learn to applied these graphs in a proper way.

What about this, does it sounds smoother?
iceui2 - / 70  
Uhh... this does not sound like a MIT-caliber essay. Anyone can mess around with a TI-89. You have to think outside the box - what would a MIT student do?
Vbalandina 2 / 17  
Hah, iceui2 is right, provide more details! Passion for graphs is a weak argument for study at MIT) Maybe try to develop your idea, the role of the graphs in everyday life, or smth)
OP Planet_14 4 / 11  
Umm.... Thinking hard

Thanks anyway.
1mPeRvI0uS 1 / 5  
you are kinda missing the point...engineering at MIT?? wow I thought you were going there to study LAW !
which course !!!
ex course III - Material Science and Engineeering
course VI computer science and electrical enginnering
OP Planet_14 4 / 11  
1mPeRvI0uS what make you think that I will be applying into Law school? I mean is there any part of my essay has been missing???

...These whole things are freaking me out.
Pub91 - / 10  
1mPeRvI0uS was being sarcastic. MIT is known throughout the world (I'm an international applicant :D) as one of the best universities in the world for engineering (ranked no 1 actually). Obviously most of the students who are applying would be doing engineering. You've got to be very specific. The question clearly states WHICH DEPARTMENT!! So saying that you want to study engineering (and in a uni known mostly for engineering) is gonna sound lame and might even give the impression that you didn't put much of an effort in to it. You mentioned graphs. So I'm guessing you'll be going for a maths major? Then say it clearly. Tell them why you want to study maths and it'd be good if you can include a bit about what you want to do with that knowledge as well. Personally, I wouldn't have bothered to give much details about the calculator. Instead use that precious space to convince them that you're passionate about your subject (show it!! now just tell!).

good luck with it :)
moealrob 3 / 13  
Decide at first which department or program you are really interested. I think that the Question was: Which department or program at MIT appeals to you. Answer the question and then show them some knowledge. Show them that you are very concerned about going there and that you put some effort in searching that department.

Home / Undergraduate / "want to major in Engineering" Which department at MIT appeals to you and why ?