"Why major in film? It's such a waste of your intelligence."

wilson93 1 / -  
Prompt: What is your intended major? Discuss how your interest in the subject developed and describe any experience you have had in the field - such as volunteer work, internships and employment, participation in student organizations and activities - and what you have gained from your involvement.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
"Why major in film? It's such a waste of your intelligence." The summer before college, I couldn't seem to hear the end of that. I was first exposed to film studies when my high school decided to offer an International Baccalaureate film class in my junior year. There were only twelve students in the inaugural film class, and we were integral to every film related events in school.

I wasn't keen at first, but over the next two years, I slowly fell in love with the world of film. I started off by working on basic projects to develop my understanding of film production. My first project was to shoot a scene with eight lines of dialogue; I remember every student's films were so different. I began to wonder about the potential outcomes with more dialogue at my disposal. I had been a long time admirer of films, but this was my first experience on the other side of the curtain.

As I acquired more expertise, I began to work on more elaborate projects with my classmates. In total there were four major projects. Since there were only a few students taking film classes, we were essentially the film club of the school. My films were exhibited regularly to groups of students. I was a shy retiring person, but on the set I was very confident; I wasn't afraid to express my ideas. These projects not only helped me develop my film expertise, but also help me gain more independence and responsibility.

In my senior year, I wrote and co-directed a ten-minute film. I really enjoyed being a writer; in the film, I expressed thoughts and feelings that I could never express in real life. We were only given two hours of class time per week to shoot our projects, and it was up to us to make up the remaining hours. As an indolent teenager, I somehow had no difficulties committing up to seven hours consistently on Sundays to work with my group. This was the moment I first discovered film was the right path for me.

Coming from Indonesia, the art of film isn't valued. Aesthetically pleasing films don't fare well because most viewers aren't able to relate to it. I hope by achieving a higher education in film, I'm not only going to be a part of the film industry in Indonesia, but will be able to revolutionize it. When I expressed my intent to major in film, I had to listen to disparaging remarks. I hope to improve the film industry in Indonesia, so that aspiring filmmakers can proudly express their intent to major in film.
Abby5 8 / 19 4  
Really great essay, best that I have seen on this site.
sebastiann436 3 / 4  
perhaps you wanted to say that you hear those comments again and again, but when you said, ' I couldn't seem to hear the end of that' on the first pharagraph it seems like you can't hear the end of the phrase,

on the last phar. don't judge that they don't give any value to the world of film making, perhaps you could say that it don't get much attention

hope this helps, overall, it's a really good essay! goodluck

Home / Undergraduate / "Why major in film? It's such a waste of your intelligence."